Elvis Renaissance: Coming Soon to a Social Media Near You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

“Let’s Groove” 

“It’s My Party” 

“September” 

“More Than A Woman”

Just a few of the many vintage songs Tiktok has re-popularized. And yet, one icon in particular has yet to make a major comeback: Elvis Presley, the King of Rock and Roll, who is cited by Wikipedia as being “regarded as one of the most significant cultural icons of the 20th century.” 

Seeing as so many songs and artists have a new generation of followers, it’s a bit surprising that there have been no major Elvis-related movements online. 

In fact, it is this author’s opinion that the internet is one viral “hear me out 👀” tweet away from a full-scale revival of Elvis Presley.

If we all agree to be honest with ourselves, it is not difficult to admit that Elvis was a good looking dude. And, as can be easily seen through Twitter’s “white boy of the month” proclivity, good looks and a decent amount of talent are really all one needs to become an internet sensation. 

Will there be an Elvis fandom? Those words seem to juxtapose each other, and yet it might very well happen. Or, it might simply strengthen the numbers of some pre-existing Elvis fandom which lurks just out of sight of stan Twitter. Who’s to say?

Should this renaissance happen, it will certainly be entertaining to see baby boomers rush to all social media to discuss seeing him in person, posting pictures of themselves as children and teens with him, and triumphantly say “I liked him before he was cool the first time.”

It is important to note that Elvis’ personal life was fairly problematic, and in no way is this prediction and/or speculation of revival approving of his choices and actions. His music is entertaining and engaging, and that’s all.

Additionally, it is often noted that Elvis’ music appropriates from Black culture, as rock and roll originated from jazz, gospel, and many other genres created by Black artists. While this statement is entirely true, it does often exclude Elvis’ own crediting of Black people for the creation of the genre. In his own words – as recorded in The Rock History Reader, page 20 – Elvis states that Black people “been singing [rock and roll] and playing it just like I’m doin’ now, man, for more years than I know. (…)  I got [rock and roll] from them.” 

Considering how rare it is even for contemporary artists to actively attribute their sound to Black creators, Elvis was ahead of his time. 

Perhaps a revival of traditional rock and roll will also bring along with it a new, contemporary tradition of properly crediting Black creators, as the crowned “King of Rock and Roll” did. 

Or maybe “Fever” will play on the radio on repeat and stan Twitter will have a new obsession. 

Surely only time will tell.

Maddie McKnight

Northern Arizona '23

Originally from California, I now attend Northern Arizona University. When not reading, writing, or attending classes, I enjoy thrifting, jewelry making, and watching movies. A classic favorite of mine is "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," I believe Marylin Monroe is overrated for all the wrong reasons, and underrated for all the right ones.