Making the Best of the Morning When It’s Too Cozy to Get Out of Bed

Fall has begun and the coziness has arrived: flannel pj pants, extra blankets, and warm pumpkin smell everywhere. It’s so much easier to hit snooze and roll back over to your pillow when it’s still dark out in the morning, but here are a few ideas to incorporate into your routine to make mornings joyful again.

1. Wake up an hour before you have to be anywhere

Sounds crazy, but the less stressed you are, the more relaxing the start of your day will be. Not only will you get to sleep at a better hour, you also won’t have to worry about being crunched for time in the morning.

2. Stttrreeecchhh

It’s always good to shake off that sleepy spell with some light movement. Spread your arms and legs like a starfish and wiggle your fingers and toes. Yoga also works if you’re looking for a little bit more, but are not quite ready to commit to an early morning run.

3. Meditate

Clearing your mind or imagining the day ahead of you will leave you calmer and ready to take on anything. Not feeling the silence? Try listening to a podcast or some music to slowly energize for the day.

4. Make your own breakfast

Whether you’re a spinach omelet or waffles person, home cooked is the best way to have the most important meal of the day.

5. Try not to depend on caffeine

Let your body wake itself up! Setting a morning routine will be much more stabilizing than going through the morning feeling like you’re in need of something. (You’ll also save a lot of money.)