Laura Goetz & Her Whale-Y Cool Co-Op

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

While Laura Goetz doesn’t actually work with whales, we think that what she did this summer, and continues to do now, is definitely worth a Celeb status!

Name: Laura Goetz

Year: Middler (3/5 yrs)

Major: marine biology

Hometown: Minneapolis

What did you do this summer?

“I worked at Northeastern’s Marine Science Center (MSC) in Nahant in Professor Detrich’s lab. I recently started working at the New England Aquarium part time and will continue working part time at the MSC. ” 

What kind of work would you do at the MSC?

“I am currently involved in two projects: one that involves lab work to isolate a gene from Antarctic icefish species and another that focuses on research of genes then comparing certain genes between fish species.” 

Can you tell us a bit more about the research you are doing now?

“The first project that I am working on evolves around isolating a gene that plays a part in red blood cell development in multiple species of Antarctic icefish. Icefish interest scientists because they lack red blood cells unlike most other fish so they are useful for not only learning medicinal information but are also used for understanding evolutionary processes. The second project that I am working on is based on researching genes involved in red blood cell development in fish that have red blood cells and comparing these genes to fish without red blood cells to see what genes icefish are missing.”  

What made you also want to work at the aquarium?

“Aquariums play an important role in motivating the general public to take interest in our oceans and an active role in conservation. I have always been passionate about humane aquariums because that was part of how I became interested in marine biology in Minneapolis, MN. The New England Aquarium not only offers amazing opportunities through research and husbandry but it also works hard to promote conservation and passion for oceans.” 

What would be your dream job?

“My plan is to work for my phd and eventually conduct my own research through a university and also teach as a professor.” 

And, most importantly, what is your favorite marine animal?

“Nudibranchs, they are absolutely gorgeous!”

For those of you, like me, who have no idea what a nudibranch is, please enjoy the image below!

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!