Style > Fashion

Valentino’s Pink Perfection: How Fashion Transcends Collective Heartbreak and Ignites Inner Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

This year’s Paris Fashion Week saw many illustrious couture shows, but one stood out as an optimistic and meaningful moment in an otherwise tumultuous worldwide sociopolitical climate. Maison Valentino’s iconic fashion house debuted its Fall/Winter 2022 collection theme: monochrome fuchsia pink! This collection encapsulates the essence of femininity and love while being accompanied by pink graphics from artist and novelist, Douglas Coupland. Coupland and Creative Director of Valentino, Pierpaolo Piccioli, teamed up to collaborate on this new collection by creating pink affirmation booklets inside the invitations to the runway show that took place on Sunday, March 6th. These affirmations were full of unfiltered truths, with captions posted to @maisonvalentino Instagram like “I miss my pre-internet brain,” “beauty can be earned,” and “modernity is eternal.” Coupland has a history with the brand having created multiple themed booklets for Valentino’s past shows, adding a distinctive poetic component. 

What’s more, the venue, chairs, runway carpet, surrounding walls, etc. were all decked out in pink perfection to match! From sequined pants suits to chiffon ball gowns, and minimalistic mini dresses, the show was sparkling with all kinds of styles and expressions. There were also striking looks of all-black outfits to offset and complement the rosy theme. Valentino brought a classic color with a vibrant twist, which in the words of Pierpaolo Piccioli, emulates “the color of love, community, energy, and freedom.” In fact, Valentino and the Pantone Color Institute, the most famous color forecasting company known for its Pantone Matching System used in fashion design, etc., worked together to create an entirely new shade of pink special for this occasion, entitled “Pink PP,” which will reportedly be available in the fall! 

Valentino upheld their whimsical yet grounded identity in this manifestation of fine detailing, skillful accessorizing, and abundant versatility. Sunday’s show proved to further celebrate the brand’s core attributes of valuing ultra-femininity, vulnerably welcoming passion, and instilling hope through color and focus. And in a time of ongoing global heartbreak and fear, it was not lost on the celebrity guests and journalists who attended or Pierpaolo Piccioli that this fashion show was going on in a time of heightened uncertainty. While this is the reality, Puccioli only felt further propelled into creating something magical that people could take reprieve in, which culminated in the artful craftsmanship of the brand’s newest garments. This collection and its unveiling served as a means of mending and acknowledging that now more than ever, our world needs dazzling color and unshakable light brought forth. 

Not to mention, the show this past weekend was not overhyped/robotically promoted on social media. Valentino’s event had room to breathe and garnered attention without generic advertisements usually implemented for fashion week. This gave the show a feeling of simplicity and sincerity that spoke to a larger audience of creatives and fans of the brand. People of all walks of life will appreciate this fashion exhibition in spades for its inclusion of models of all shapes, sizes, and skin tones while wearing the most universally flattering color. Valentino never disappoints; a timeless luxury fashion house that leads by example, never losing sight of the greater good or the will to dream. Paris Fashion Week’s Valentino Fall/Winter ‘22 show sparked emotions of unity and humanity through exquisite regalia with a contemporary flair which will remain a significant chapter in haute couture history.

Natalie Hooker

New School '24

I'm currently a sophomore student at The New School, and my passions include art, writing, cosmetology, and animals. I love following expressive fashion and beauty trends, and enjoy veiwing film and television, all of which I'm so excited to be writing about for Her Campus.