Career

Three Ways to Overcome Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

It’s inevitable. Even the most skilled of writers fall into the torturous imprisonment where they are unable to produce content or come up with creative ideas. You’ll be glad to hear that writer’s block, while extremely frustrating, can be overcome. Here are three helpful tips and tricks to get you out of that rut and back on your creative track.

Attitude is Everything.

We’ve all been there. You clear up your schedule and dedicate the time to write. You turn on your computer, navigate to a blank page and brush your fingers against the keyboard. It’s going to happen, you tell yourself. Any minute now and the ideas will pour out.

You wait five minutes.

Ten minutes.

An hour.

It doesn’t take long for you to realize that it might not happen today. So you switch off the computer and do something else, probably feeling pretty bummed about your lack of productivity.

Well, don’t.

Writers block is bound to happen, so the best thing to do is to remind yourself that this has nothing to do with you personally. It doesn’t mean you’re a bad writer. It doesn’t mean that you’re not creative. It just means now is not the time to write. Don’t force it. Accept that this “condition” comes with the territory. The more positive you feel, the quicker this block will be overcome and the sooner you can get back to work.

Music

To most writers, music is the secret ingredient to their craft. Some famous authors have even revealed the playlists behind our favorite books. Music and creativity go hand-in-hand, but you might be surprised to know that certain notes are better at eliciting creativity than others. When are brains are exposed to compositions consisting of specific waves, it can help us not only overcome writer’s block, but it can also offer a boost of motivation. Spotify’s Deep Focus playlist offers a compilation of these tracks, which accompany writing perfectly. So next time you want to write, turn on some creativity and focus music and watch as the ideas overflow.

Change of Scenery

Writers sometimes refer to specific spots as favorite “writing spots.” But whether it’s one’s room, a café or even the library, the art of writing can quickly transform from ritual to routine. And we all know that routines and repetition have superpowers that kill creativity. So next time you want to write, spice things up a bit. Used to writing indoors? Head to a park instead. Do you always write at night? Try the early hours of the day. You might surprise yourself. Better yet, you might unlock potential you never knew you had.

Happy writing.

[Feature Image by Pexels]

Rama Majzoub

New School

Rama is Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at The New School. She is on track to graduate with a master's in psychology in spring of 2018.