This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Many people in the next few weeks will be heading home, or at least off-campus. As someone who is living alone or outside of their home for the first time, there’s a nervous rush that crosses the mind with the very thought of going home. In your head, you thought you were transitioning into adulthood — but not quite yet. You’re gonna go from the freedoms of your college dorm to being held into your childhood home where there are rules to follow again. Although it may sound dreadful, it’s also a comfortable space, stained with familiarity and common senses. 

Many people don’t want to go home for all the numerous reasons that rush into their heads. For some, they haven’t had this much freedom in their life ever, so going home isn’t entirely ideal. For some, it can be restraining, as if they have to closet themselves for a few weeks just to blossom once again. For others, home is the one place that doesn’t feel like home. It can be draining; it’s a never-ending battle to feel as if you are in the right place, but you aren’t. 

Now, for the people who feel at home when they go home, returning home is a lucky thing. They might feel that their heart is going back to the place it belongs. It’s the close analysis of the tiny details that changed, often feeling excited over what has stayed and what has left. It’s finally seeing friends and family with whom you’ve felt so out-of-touch with, giving them the warmth of a hug or a smile across the street. 

Although it isn’t all bad for those who don’t want to return home. Take this opportunity to rest up and see it as an escape. It might not be easy, but for many it isn’t a choice at all. It’s something we have to do, so try and do it with purpose. Find peace in a space of havoc. Find a reason to be there despite not wanting to. Home will always be a place your heart rests in, and despite it not being the most ideal space, you can try to let it be a little less of an uptight environment. Worst comes to worst, you fill your time with so much that the weeks go by faster. 

Here are a few things I like to do to pass time:

1. Try or start a new workout (working out regularly can boost serotonin levels in your brain)
  2. Find a new location to visit
  3. Go on a walk, preferably at sunrise or sunset
  4. Start a new hobby (this takes up so much time and you learn a new skill)
  5. Take steps for the future (this could be planning life after college or maybe an internship)
  6. Go take yourself on a date (seriously, hanging out alone is so important and can make you feel more secure)
  7. Find a new creative outlet
  8. Start journaling — a great way to understand what you’re going through
  9. Try out yoga (take it slow and steady — like life)
  10. Keep yourself company — relying on others to keep you afloat may not always be the best option.

Whatever emotion is dragging through your head right now, welcome home, wherever that may be. 

I hope you’re okay.

Toni Ann Hoffman

New School '24

Currently a sophomore studying Product Design at Parsons School of Design in New York City! I write on a variation of topics but mainly focus on self-help (mental health) and design!