Way Too Far for LDRsjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Way Too Far for LDRsjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Surviving Valentine’s Day in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

If you told me this time last year that I would be doing long distance with my boyfriend…again… I would have laughed in your face. 

Although, as we all know, 2020 has been the MOST unpredictable year and it has lead to me taking classes from home and my boyfriend going to school in New York. I’m no stranger to LDRs, two years ago I was in New York going to school and my boyfriend was in our hometown (funny how life works out)

That being said, this isn’t my first Valentine’s Day being apart from him. Here are some tips and date ideas to make your Valentine’s Day just as special. (even when you’re miles apart)

1- Make time for one another

If you were in person today, you would most likely be going on a date. Why should this be any different when you’re apart? Make spending time with your s/o a priority. Set a time and place (via Zoom Virtual Background) for your date.

2- Get dressed up (or down)

If you were together today, what would your plans be? A night out at a fancy restaurant? Walk around a museum? Or Netflix and Chill? Putting forth an effort will help you be more attentive online and give your boo thang the attention they deserve. 

3- Or…undressed

Go ahead. Buy yourself that lingerie you have in your shopping cart. People were having FaceTime sex way before Doja Cat’s song “Cyber Sex” was released. Talk about all the things you would do if you were together. I’ll let you figure the rest out…

4- Oooh What a Time to Be Alive

On the topic of Doja Cat and “Cyber Sex.” We now live in an age where distance doesn’t have to stop the fun. There are now vibrators that can be controlled by your partner’s phone. Maybe for Valentine’s Day invest in a remote control vibrator.  

2020 has proved to us that a lot can be done online, work, school, happy hours, why should dates be an exception? Here are some date ideas that you and your loved one can do on the 14th.

Dinner and a Movie

My personal favorite. Order food from the same place and watch a movie together. “Sharing a meal that has been prepared for you and your partner can be as close as many folks will come to a restaurant or night out during the pandemic.” says Dr. Sabrina Romanoff, a clinical psychologist. You can sync it or there are apps like Netflix Party that does all the work for you. Hulu also has a “watch party” option. Send the link, order the food, and you’re good to go!

Visit That Museum 

Ever have a museum you dreamed of going to, but school, work, family, and just life, in general, got in the way? Well, now’s your chance to get a sneak peek. A lot of museums around the world are offering virtual tours. Museums in the United States including The Guggenheim Museum in New York, The National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., and The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles.  Going abroad more your thing? You can also visit The British Museum in London, Musée d’Orsay in Paris, National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Seoul, and everyone’s dream Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum

Workout Together

Okay, this may not be your first option, but hear me out. Going through an intense workout with someone else is extremely bonding. There is something about pushing through burpees to the point where you can’t stop laughing. Plus, after the workout, you both will be in a super good mood. 

No matter what you end up doing, cherish the time you’re able to spend together. You get out what you put in! Make your partner feel special and loved even if it’s from miles away. 

Leah Arroyo

New School '22

Leah Arroyo is a Media Studies major with an emphasis on Social Change at The New School. When she isn't writing or working on school, she is working out, trying new vegan recipes, journaling, or dancing in her room lip-syncing pretending she's a pop star.