Culture > News

Serena Williams’ Penalty Proves Female Athletes Can’t Be Athletes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

You’ve probably heard about Serena Williams and the US Open final fiasco. If you haven’t, here’s a summary:

Williams and twenty-year-old Naomi Osaka faced off in the final match of the Women’s US Open for the Grand Slam title. The officiator Carlos Ramos gave Williams three violations in the second set: the first a warning regarding coaching; the second a point penalty for breaking her racket; and the third a game penalty for verbal abuse after she called him a “thief.” Williams also racked up $17,000 in fines.

Osaka won the game, becoming the first Japanese tennis player to win a Grand Slam title. However, that was overshadowed by the officiating controversy. During the trophy ceremony, the crowd was booing, Osaka pulled her visor over her face crying, while Williams put her arm around her in support.

It was harrowing to watch for women, but especially for women of color. It was a reminder that no matter how accomplished a woman you are, or if you are considered one of the best athletes in the world- you will still be penalized for speaking up.

The US Open was a powder keg of sexism, and the final was the event that blew it up.

Before the US tournament, the French Tennis Federation announced that Williams would not be allowed to wear her black compression bodysuit in future French tournaments. The bodysuit had been designed by Nike specifically for Williams’ to help her blood circulation and prevent blood clots- because she almost died after giving birth. Yeah, in case there’s any question as to why Serena Williams is the greatest athlete alive she gave birth, almost died, came back to tennis and dominated (I could go on, but I must digress).

The French Tennis Federation president Bernard Giudicelli said the bodysuit went “too far” and “One must respect the game and the place.” To which I say GTFO Giudicelli, how about you respect the right of female athletes to not die on the court. Also, it’s 2018 women wear pants now.

Now back to the US Open. Tennis player Alize Cornet was given a code violation for briefly (legit 5 seconds) removing her top because it was on backward (she was wearing a sports bra nonetheless) and was cited for unsportsmanlike conduct. And here’s a picture of Novak Djokovic chillin’ with his shirt off at the US Open days later. 

A tweet from the official US Open Twitter. “Summertime, and the livin’ is easy…” It sure is easy when you don’t have boobs. 

As infuriating as all these instances are, they’re not at all surprising.

Female athletes are treated like absolute garbage. Just listen to how any man talks about the WNBA, It’s a joke. Or look at the US Women’s Soccer National Team, who was paid $2 Million for winning the World Cup in 2015, while the US Men’s Team was paid 9 million for losing (and mind you didn’t even place in this year’s World Cup).

Pay disparity aside; it’s also clear that female athletes are not allowed to express the same passion as male athletes are. Hope Solo was given a six-month ban after calling the Swedish team “cowards” after a loss, which yeah isn’t the best sportsmanlike conduct but the guy who literally bit another soccer player was suspended for less. At the news conference following her loss, Williams said she’s seen male players call other umpires “several things.” She added, “For me to say ‘thief’ and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He’s never taken a game from a man because they said ‘thief.”

To penalize women for arguing, for saying ugly remarks, or for simply speaking up- it’s as if to say you’re lucky you’re even here, now be quiet. It’s this idea that it’s a privilege to play in a male-dominated field when you’re a woman, so you better be on your best behavior.

Williams said it herself, “I’m certain I don’t speak for myself when I say that the events that transpired during Saturday’s game were not unfamiliar to most women. Whether in the workplace or in general society, women are constantly expected to be palatable and nice, even when we are rightfully angry. Saturday’s game was a painful reminder that no matter how powerful or respected women are, they are not allowed to express a full spectrum of human emotions.

Growing up as a girl who played sports, I felt the added pressure to play perfect games one as an athlete, but two as a girl because I wanted to be taken seriously. Grade school gym class was my first introduction (to be quite frank) to sexism. I was athletic, played just about any sport you can think of (I went to golf camp and was excited about it), yet still was picked after every unathletic boy who had no interest in whatever game we were playing. And I knew I had no room to mess up because I needed to be taken seriously, one mistake for me was a chance to be written off as a girl. Not to say my twelve-year-old boy classmates were inherently sexist, it was just the culture we grew up in. We knew “playing like a girl” meant something negative, and it was something I strived harder not to be.

You might remember Always’ “Like A Girl” commercial that aired during Super Bowl XLIX three years ago. Watching the ad I had tears in my eyes, my heart swelled, and then my cousin drunkenly proclaimed how dumb is this. And then I felt like crying for a different reason. Because no matter how much progress we make, there is always something that pulls us back. Serena Williams, Serena Williams, is still subjected to sexism and racism. It’s just another reminder there is still more fighting to do.

It’s going to take a while, and a lot of hard work before female athletes garner the same respect male athletes receive. But we should start by not penalizing women and young girls for their passion.

“Passion” is the most valued trait an athlete can have yet when women express it the word turns into “meltdown.” We need to let female athletes (and women in general) be passionate. Let them make mistakes. Let them learn. Let them curse. Let them be angry and let them argue. Let them yell and scream and be frustrated. Let them cry and be emotional and upset about a loss.

Let them be athletes.

Logan Mahan

New School '20

Logan is a senior studying Journalism + Design at The New School. Her interests include (but not limited to) fashion, politics, red wine, the Bee Gees, playing "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston at every function she attends, and of course, writing. 
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com