This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

When people ask me what my favorite genre of music is, I usually stutter and try to think through the plethora of playlists on my Spotify. My music taste is at times hard to pin down, ranging from 90’s Hip-Hop to indie rock like Mac DeMarco. The one genre I rely on the most though is psychedelic rock, with grooves from the days of San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury hippies to modern times with artists like Tame Impala.

Psychedelic rock was the product of folk and blues-rock bands from England and the US experimenting with new techniques and effects when recording. In the mid 60’s, when hippie counterculture was influenced by drugs like LSD, psychedelic music became the noise of the hallucinatory decade. Today, musicians are still deriving from the dreamlike sounds of psychedelic rock’s earliest days.

From years of scouring Spotify and figuring out the name of songs played at retro bars in the city, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite psychedelic songs from the 1960’s to now.

Strange Brew by Cream

Nights In White Satin by The Moody Blues

Five To One by The Doors

Dark Star by The Grateful Dead

May This Be Love by Jimi Hendrix

San Francisco Girls (Return of the Native) by Fever Tree

You’re Gonna Miss Me by The 13th Floor Elevators 

Future Games by Fleetwood Mac

I Want You (She’s So Heavy) by The Beatles

Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin

Kinda Bonkers by Animal Collective

While psychedelic music today isn’t as rock-centered as it once was, there’s still an abundance of artists with songs that can make your brain feel just as swirly as the oldies do.

Sense by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

San Francisco by Shuggie

When I Get Home by Post Animal

Warmth of the Sun by levitation room

Route To Palm by White Williams

Under The Sun by DIIV

He’s Heating Up! by HOMESHAKE

Like Acid Rain by Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Beverly Laurel by Tame Impala

While this list is only a fraction of my forever extending collection of psychedelic songs, it’s a great place to start to get into the genre that defined an entire decade and continues to influence artists today.

All the songs listed are in a playlist titled “Psychedelics” on my Spotify @samford1228.

Sam Ford

New School '22

Sam typically looks like she's from the 70's and gets into arguments with people who deny climate change. She attends Lang at The New School and is majoring in Journalism & Design with a minor in Environmental Studies.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com