The Most Spooktacular Halloween Festivities in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Halloween is on a Wednesday this year, and so an important question arises: which weekend are we supposed to celebrate Halloween? (My answer is the weekend before- because once November hits it’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” season). Or why not just party both weekends? But while you figure out when to celebrate it, here is a list of activities that can help you decide how to spend the spookiest time of the year.

1. Fort Greene Halloween Dog Parade 

When: 11:30 AM, Saturday, October 27th, 2018.

I was originally going to put the annual Tompkins Square Park Halloween dog parade, but it has come to my attention (while doing research for this article) that the parade had been CANCELLED which has left me very distraught. But fear not because Fort Greene Park has their very own annual Halloween dog parade (which is turning 20 this year)! If you’re unfamiliar with any kind of Halloween dog parade- it’s basically a bunch of very cute pups dressed up in very cute pup-sized costumes and (in my opinion) is the perfect midterms stress relief you can find. You can also spend two hours checking out pictures from previous years.

Me after a night out

Source: Jasmin Chang 

2. The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze

When: Now until November 24th

If you want to get out of the city for the day and see some cool a*s jack o’ lanterns- you can take a trip up to Hudson Valley and check out The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze. See more than 7,000 intricately carved pumpkins, glowing along the riverside by Van Cortlandt Manor. You can also stargaze inside the Pumpkin Planetarium, see flying ghosts and a special appearance by Sleepy Hollow’s Headless Horseman. You can get there in under an hour from Manhattan, just get on the Metro-North Hudson Line from Grand Central, and get off at Croton-Harmon station. Get tickets and more info here.

Source: New York Times

3. Rocky Horror Picture Show

When: Halloween shows-10/26, 11/2, 11/3

You’ve seen the cult classic film, now go see a midnight viewing of Rocky Horror Picture Show live! Now, this isn’t a stage performance- the film plays on a big screen while actors perform in costume- as tradition. The audience is usually decked out in Rocky Horror themed outfits as well so get your garter belts ready. You can get tickets and find more info here, but hurry because they’re selling out fast!

4. Village Halloween Parade

When: October 31st

If you’ve spent a year in NYC then you’ve probably have heard about or encountered the annual Village Halloween Parade. If not, this year you should definitely hang out on Sixth avenue somewhere between Spring St and 16th St on Halloween night. There are thousands of people, paraders and onlookers, in their spookiest, funniest, cleverest, and last-minutest Halloween costumes. It’s one of those traditions that make New York, New York, ya get what I mean?

Source: Nofspodcast.com

And whatever you decide to do, have fun, stay safe, and check your candy for razor blades and drugs!

Logan Mahan

New School '20

Logan is a senior studying Journalism + Design at The New School. Her interests include (but not limited to) fashion, politics, red wine, the Bee Gees, playing "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston at every function she attends, and of course, writing. 
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com