This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Charli XCX

Image as seen on NME

Charli XCX is here to reclaim pop. The Scottish star toured with Taylor Swift on her recent Reputation tour, and is turning heads with her bubbly, eccentric personality and pop style. Charli has confirmed a new album is coming in 2019, but definitely do your homework and check out 2017’s progressive release Pop 2.

Songs to Save: “Track 10,” “1999,” “No Angel”

Sidney Gish

Photo by Eric Walker as seen on Allston Pudding Music Blog

There’s nothing that makes me smile bigger than Sidney Gish’s very infectious indie, a sound reminiscent of a Frankie Cosmos brand of bedroom pop. Her songs are a strange yet beautiful interpretation to adolescent confusion, making her the perfect soundtrack for Mercury’s retrograde.

Songs to Save: “Sin Triangle,” “Persephone,” “I’m Filled With Steak, and Cannot Dance”

Jay Som

Image as seen on The Bay Bridged Bay Area Indie Music

With an alias made from the Wu-Tang Names Generator, Melina Duterte is Jay Som. Her relaxing discography has something for everyone, ranging from deep cuts to tracks for the best dance party. Towards the end of March, Jay Som is embarking on a US tour with Mitski, everyone’s favorite indie songstress.

Songs to Save: “Simple,” “One More Time Please,” “Unlimited Touch”

Hatchie

Image as seen on High Clouds

Australian dream pop act Hatchie is led by Harriet Pilbeam, who’s making waves with her modern approach to classic shoegaze. She recently announced her new album, Keepsake, with a new single titled “Without A Blush.” Her songs, which have been remixed by Cocteau Twins’ Robin Guthrie, are incredible and embody the color pink.

Songs to Save: “Sugar & Spice,” “Sleep,” “Try”

Stella Donnelly

Photo by Pooneh Ghana as seen on Vanity Fair

Stella Donnelly’s music matches her adorable personality. The Australian musician’s debut album Beware of the Dogs was released on March 8, and it’s perfect for crying, dancing, and dismantling the patriarchy.

Songs to Save: “Lunch,” “Die,” “Beware of the Dogs”

SOPHIE

Still from SOPHIE’s video for “It’s Okay To Cry”

SOPHIE is a rare talent, making electronic music for the masses. Her 2018 album, OIL OF EVERY PEARL’S UN-INSIDES, was recently nominated for a Grammy, and for good reason. The album, which tackles self-image and her experience as a trans woman, is an impeccable showcase of talent that you won’t find anywhere else.

Songs to Save: “Immaterial,” “It’s Okay To Cry,” “Is It Cold In The Water?”

SASAMI

Photo by Alice Baxley for Grandstand Media

Keep your eye out for Sasami Ashworth, because she’s just getting started. Her new self-titled album was released on March 8, and it features the great Dustin Payseur and Devendra Banhart, a.k.a. two people I would never expect to be on the same album. Sasami studied french horn in college, and her musical expertise shines through in all of her work.

Songs to Save: “Free,” “Callous,” “I Was A Window”

Snail Mail

Photo of Snail Mail performance at WFUV by Brian Gallagher 

Snail Mail, led by frontwoman Lindsey Jordan, is the perfect, summery respite from this unforgiving winter. Her debut album, Lush, was released in summer 2018, and it’s a stunning ode to queer love and the desire to be accepted. Jordan is an indie powerhouse, and has been touring nonstop since mid-2017.  

Songs to Save: “Anytime,” “Stick,” “Deep Sea”

Tanukichan

Image by Jacob Romero as seen on East Bay Express

Literally, incredible is the only word I can think of. Tanukichan is turning shoegaze on its head and making it her own, with fuzzy, reverb soaked guitar and her chilling vocals. Her debut album Sundays was released in 2018, and it’s perfect. If you’re a fan of Beach House or My Bloody Valentine, you’ll love her.

Songs to Save: “Hunned Bandz,” “The Best,” “Sundays”

Soccer Mommy

Still from Soccery Mommy’s “Cool” video

Sophie Allison is Soccer Mommy, the quintessential indie rock sound of today. Her hard-hitting lyrics are the powerhouse behind her music, and you won’t fail to find a song that makes you want to cry with just a few chords. Not to mention that her incredible song “Scorpio Rising” is basically a 2006 Taylor Swift reincarnate.

Songs to Save: “Be Seeing You,” “Scorpio Rising,” “I’m On Fire”

Allison Foster

New School '21

Hi, I’m Allison! I’m a Journalism + Design student at The New School who spends too much time making playlists, crying over Timothée Chalamet, and tweeting. Find me at @macaronigrl on Instagram.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com