jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Podcasts Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

I use to think podcasts were for older folks who preferred audio books over paperback. I thought podcasts were boring and didn’t have anything to offer young, aspirational girls like myself. If you didn’t know by now, podcasts have taken over today’s media culture. They have substituted music playlists and have created new ways for learning. From celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and Gwyneth Paltrow hosting inspirational and powerful conversations, to Gary Vaynerchuk and Sophia Amoruso spilling their secrets to success, people all over the world have hopped on their mobile devices to do nothing but listen, and now I know why.

Back in January of 2019, I stumbled upon a podcast called Thick & Thin by YouTuber and Instagram-gal Katy Bellotte. Bellotte describes her podcast as “The musings of a millennial girl living in New York City about life, love and everything in between.” Her conversations are real, unfiltered, and sensitive. Saying what’s on everyone else’s mind isn’t easy, but it’s necessary to make an impact. Her talks have opened my eyes to the harsh realities of society, growing up, being a young adult, and navigating life, especially in a place like New York City. Thick & Thin made me thirsty for more which is when I discovered the overwhelming array and genre of podcasts that are available at my fingertips. Want the scoop on the latest celebrity gossip? There’s a podcast on that. Interested in learning about the history of infectious diseases? Yep, there’s a podcast on it. Curious about how to make an extra 20k? There’s a podcast on that too

Call me a nerd, but podcasts have enabled me to learn about so many things like the causes of Zika virus, why we can’t see black holes, what makes Spotify so successful, and how female entrepreneurs are dominating the world of business; and it feels pretty cool to know all of these things.

Podcasts are also like free therapy sessions. They put you at ease, and give you something to think about as you get ready for the day or take on your morning commute.

Overall, podcasts certainly are NOT for old people and there is so much they have to offer all types of people. These tiny audio worlds have so much information to discover. They are powerful in the way they explain, motivate, and speak to us. Listening to one podcast a day can not only teach you something new about the world but also teach you something about yourself.

Here are some of my favorites. Happy listening!

Hannah Zipf

New School '22

Hannah studies fashion and communications and creates content for Her Campus at The New School.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com