Style

How New Schoolers’ Styles Have Changed Since Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

I did a lot of reminiscing in quarantine, most of which included enviously scrolling up my camera roll from the infamous date of March 12, 2020 to fawn over my carefree, pre-rona life. As I’d scroll through (some inevitably cringe-y) photos dating back to my first year at Parsons, I couldn’t stop thinking about how much I missed getting ready for school. I used to love planning an eye-catching outfit the night before a day of classes, but now that coronavirus has halted in-person classes, the only eye I’m catching is the lens of my Zoom camera and I’m not sure Zoom is worth the trouble. My style today is the most relaxed and neutral-toned it has ever been; I have never worn so much black in my life, and though I appreciate the minimal effort it now takes me to get ready in the morning, I wish I had as much fun getting dressed as I did pre-pandemic. Curious to find out whether anyone else in the New School community feels the same, I asked New School students and professors how their personal styles have changed post-coronavirus lockdown.

How has your personal style changed since quarantine? 

I don’t pay attention to trends as much. I don’t shop as a hobby anymore, I do it when I actually want clothes, so that’s nice for my wallet! I’m less inclined to get new stuff unless I think something like, “oh, I really need a new sweater because it’s cold out.” I’ve also been tailoring the things I have to match articles of clothing I would otherwise buy. If I don’t like the way a hem looks at the bottom of my pants, for example, I’ll seam rip it to match a style I’ve been admiring for a while. I’m just trying to be less wasteful! 

— Veronika, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts 2023

I feel a lot less stylish now because I haven’t updated my wardrobe. I just wear hoodies every day, and when I do go out, I love wearing comfy clothes like big sweaters and loose jeans. Something I’ve started doing is wearing a lot more jewelry than before– it gives me the “I got ready” feeling without the effort and makes me feel more productive. 

— Maija, Parsons School of Design 2021

I started watching Gossip Girl during quarantine and got a lot of inspiration from Blair’s personal style. I wanted to feel as dominant as her character is, so I started wearing more feminine and delicate pieces. That may sound oxymoronic, but I feel more confident now! I’ve been loving wearing skirts with tights and a tight cropped sweater. 

— Ivy, Parsons School of Design 2022

I’ve gotten a lot more boring and repetitive in the way I dress. If we can dare to think of masks as fashion, then I’ve definitely collected a ton of those– I think I have more masks than shoes now! I have so many pairs of shoes, but I’ve only been wearing sneakers and one pair of boots. I like wearing comfortable clothes, but I won’t work in pajamas or even leggings. 

— Molly, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts 2022

I wear less variety now, and therefore it feels like I have more clothes than I used to somehow. Even though I stopped wearing dresses in quarantine, recently I’ve been putting myself together more — including wearing dresses– so as to keep an optimistic mindset.

— Cindy, Professor at Parsons School of Design  

In the early months of the pandemic, my uniform was workout clothes to motivate myself to exercise. When the zoom revolution hit, I began to wear combinations that I had never dreamed of: blouses with workout bottoms, no more blazers, and shoes of course didn’t matter. I didn’t need to coordinate anything– all I needed was one shirt! What a dream. Now, I’m purposefully buying more casual clothes because I didn’t have enough of them before.

— Domenica, Professor at Parsons School of Design 

What is the purpose of clothing for you today? 

To make me feel good. I want to feel confident and put-together, even if I don’t feel that way in my everyday life. Clothes help with that. –Veronika 

Comfy clothes substitute the daily comfort we no longer feel. Since we’re so restricted in our lives already, I don’t want to feel restricted by my clothes, either. — Maija 

I see fashion as a way to express myself more than ever. I have more fun planning my outfits now based on the characters I’m inspired by from the movies and TV I consumed over quarantine! — Ivy 

I don’t think clothing is as expressive as it used to be. Since our classmates only see us from the shoulders up, putting an entire outfit together isn’t as exciting. But I still like getting dressed, and when I do go out I wear what I want to wear even if I’m just going to Target because, well, I can! — Molly 

Comfort and staying casual has become a priority. — Cindy

It’s important for my clothing to be able to crossover from workout to daily wear! These more in-between pieces are perfect to wear both at home with my kids and when I go out to see people. — Domenica

The TLDR: After hearing from the New School community, I’ve changed my pessimistic approach to pandemic fashion. My fellow students and professors reminded me of the fun in simply feeling put-together, whether that translates to workout casual wear or a Blair Waldorf-inspired skirt and tights. Although us New Schoolers don’t quite sacrifice comfort for style anymore, we make the most of the comfortable pieces we love. Fashion makes us feel good, and to me, pandemic or not, that’s the whole point. 

Sabrina is a third-year student at Parsons School of Design studying Strategic Design and Management. She enjoys writing about beauty, lifestyle, and fashion, obviously. When she's not catching up with friends over a cappuccino, she's probably journaling or cutting up old magazines for her latest collage.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com