This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

I’m sure I’m not the only one here who enrolled in a class that I’m not enthusiastic about. There are many reasons why a class could be unlikeable. Maybe it’s hard, or the professor’s Co-star looks the same as your mortal enemy. Or maybe it just isn’t about something you’re interested in. But despite this, I’ve learned that classes like these, especially the ones that seem challenging or uninteresting, can be the most valuable. I’ll be sharing some ways to approach these types of classes, and why it can be good for you. 

Before I get started, I’d like to put a disclaimer. If you your class is difficult and the professor has a personality that’s hard to work with, do what you think is best for you. If that means dropping, that’s okay. You are your own person and that’s entirely your decision. If you don’t have a choice or if you decide to take this course, maybe this will help you see how valuable it can be.

The biggest thing when taking any class if your mindset and attitude towards it. Naturally we are excited for classes we enjoy, and neutral or negative towards ones we don’t like so much. I’ll be talking a lot about your mindset when approaching classes, because in my opinion, it is one of the most important things. 

Hard classes. We’ve all had at least one class with a large course load and a professor who teaches difficult material. Somehow I always land myself in these types of courses, with no option but to power through. What has always helped me take these classes and truly understand them is approaching it with an open mindset. If you understand that the class is difficult, use the resources provided to you. When you need help, reach out to your professors, they are here for you. Thinking that it’s hard and you need to struggle on your own is not entirely true. Yes you may struggle, but that doesn’t mean you can’t ask for help. Asking for feedback, and getting clarification on assignments is key to surviving hard classes. Although, I do understand being introverted and feeling awkward asking. Internally I always go “me nu want pls no” but one email is all it takes. You’ll be okay, you got this.

Next up, classes with whacky professors. Ok honestly, this is the biggest reason why you should drop a class. It’s very hard to work with some professors because all they seem to do is counter your efforts and lower your self esteem. And sometimes they bias the person you dislike the most. It’s happened to all of us. But sometimes you have to take it, and it just gon be like that. So in that case, the best thing to do is try to put yourself in their shoes. What is their intention when they say certain things? How do the material and assignments link to the material? What type of work are they looking for? In this case, the best thing to do is mold yourself to fit the professor’s expectations. I’m not telling you to kiss up to them, but take note of what things they like. What are they looking for? It’s like looking at company values, and regurgitating that info during a job interview. Except, it’s a weird professor, and it’s a class. Think about it like training for your future job. How do you deal with people you don’t like? In my opinion, the best way is to try and understand how they think, and using the knowledge to mold your work into something they like.

In classes with topics you aren’t so interested in, think about how it applies to what you’re studying. Look at the broader picture. Many classes at TNS are cross disciplinary, and cover many various topics. Think about how it applies to issues and philosophies in the world, or how it connects to something you like. Ask yourself questions. Does this apply to the job I want? Could it help me contextualize other things I’m learning? Can I apply some skills I learn here to other topics? 

My personal experience regarding this is a little interesting. Before entering TNS, I did dual enrollment at community college. One of the classes I took was called English 1A, an equivalent of Writing the Essay at Lang. Of course, I tried to transfer the credit over, but I was told that my credit didn’t apply to the “seminar” style class at Lang. So I was salty. Oh so salty. I was mad that I had to take the class, because in my mind, I shouldn’t have to. I already did it. (And lemme be real here I was ready to hunt someone down. 9/10 on the salty scale.) When the class started, I was stubborn. I distinctly remember saying to my friend, “I hate this class, the readings are weird, and I honestly shouldn’t even be taking it.” But by the end of the semester, the same class was the one from which I learned the most. The topic was Entre Pausas, the pauses between big moments in your life. I learned to appreciate the everyday, and I learned that my writing doesn’t have to fit a cookie cutter five paragraph essay. From that class, I gained perspective of my everyday life, and learned that my essay can evolve as I write it. And honestly, now that I’ve done it once, I can’t go back. Oops.

Overall, I hope this helps show some insight on how classes you don’t like can be valuable, or how to get through them. My advice: keep an open mind, and see how it fits with what you enjoy and/or value.

Jade Welder

New School '23

Jade is a student at The New School pursuing a degree in media studies and a minor in food studies. This isn't really a secret: she's a boba connoisseur by day and closet weeb by night. And yes, boba ice cream is really worth the hype.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com