This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Alarm, coffee, laptop, Zoom; this is what most of our mornings have been looking like this past year and it’s been boring. Since (most) campuses are closed, we have had to endure WiFi outages, classmates freezing mid-sentence, professors stumbling to control Zoom and Canvas, and most importantly we’ve been missing out on developing a deeper bond with our friends and connecting with other potential besties! 

We can’t grab lunch at the UC or coffee at the Lang Cafe, so how do we utilize this digital platform to make the connections we would normally be making? 

It’s tough having fun in college when your college experience is virtual. It can be draining, and so often we just can’t wait to get a Zoom class over with. But if there’s one benefit to a remote semester, it’s that we are able to access education, family and friends through the cloud. Being spread across the globe, we’re all missing the hustle and bustle of the city and would give anything to be back on campus, but for now we must take this time to relax, rewind and recreate what being on campus felt like!

One of the easiest ways to reach out to a classmate via Zoom is the private chat feature. Be flirty with your class-crush, joke around with your future-friend, or bond over books with your prof. Messaging over the web takes the anxiety and stress out of having that initial face-to-face interaction (as long as you make sure you’re not messaging everyone in class—trust us, we’ve been there).

You can’t forget about the Zoom breakout rooms! Although they can create more anxiety in the virtual setting, they also offer a space that is just you and your classmates. Since we can’t turn to whisper to people in classes, breakout rooms are the next best thing. They’re a great place to exchange contact info (email, phone number, social media, etc.), share unfiltered opinions and reactions about the class, and get to know people you might not have otherwise had the chance to work with. 

Another great way to make friends during an on-screen semester is to create a group chat with members of your class! Reach out to people via Instagram, Messenger or email and ask if they’d like to join you in a group chat with other classmates. Not only can you discuss what’s going on in class and set up study sessions, but you can send your favorite Tik Toks and memes and get to know each other! 

Although we can’t be together physically (yet!), making the most out of what we do have—group chats, socials and Zoom—can make it feel like we’re in the classroom together. There’s nothing like walking to and from classes with friends, going to cool speaking events, or adventuring around NYC, but until then, technology is our best friend. Whether in class or during some (rare) downtime, make fast-friends via the world-wide-web! 

If you’re ever feeling isolated studying or want to have a “social” life away from the couch, here is a list of some of our favorite clubs, online events and more!

Narwhals on Broadway  

Journalism + Design Book Club

Psychology Club

New School Virtual Events + Student Leadership!

Women Leading The New School Community | HC + USS

Black Student Union

Asian Student Association

American Institute of Architecture Students 

BIAS-Journal of Fashion Studies

Abby is a student at the New School double majoring in Theater + Journalism & Design. Abby was born and raised in New Jersey but also has some New Orleans roots and is currently loving being a New Yorker. When she isn't writing or performing, you can catch Abby snuggling with her dogs Otis & Thibodaux, or hanging out with her friends!
Ariana Guerra

New School '22

Ariana is a fourth year Journalism + Design and Theater student at The New School. She likes writing, hosting book clubs and photography. When she's not on Zoom, she enjoys reading, drinking copious amounts of tea, Meryl Streep films, political discourse and trying not to take herself too seriously.
Paloma is a senior in the BA/BFA program at The New School majoring in Literature at Eugene Lang College and Vocal Jazz at The School of Jazz and Contemporary Music with a minor at Parsons in Fashion Communications. She enjoys performing, writing, reading, hiking, and spending time with her pups-Daisy & Minnie, kitty cat-Chai, and her silkie chickens.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com