This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Happy Foodie Friday! Today I’m sharing five food brands that need to be on your radar (each is Black-owned, too!). Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat to mail to a loved one or are looking to treat yourself to a refreshing bottle of lemonade, these brands will help you achieve those goals. Check them out and find a stockist near you!

Grocery Shopping
Photo by Mehrad Vosoughi from Unsplash

Partake Foods

Partake Foods was founded when CEO Denise’s daughter was diagnosed with a number of food allergies. Each product at Partake is free of peanuts, eggs, dairy, soy, and tree nuts—plus they never add any preservatives or artificial flavors. Their cookies can be found at Trader Joe’s, Targets, Whole Foods, and Krogers around the country.

Me & the Bees Lemonade

Warmer weather is putting us in the mood for some lemonade! Me & the Bees was founded by a four-year-old girl, Mikaila, when she learned about bees’ important role in our ecosystem. Mikaila used an old family lemonade recipe to kickstart her participation in youth entrepreneurship competitions and ten years later her company has grown by 500 percent! A percentage of sales are donated to the Healthy Hive Foundation, a nonprofit working to save pollinators.

Trade Street Jam Co.

Trade St. Jam Co. has come a long way since its humble beginnings in a North Carolina apartment over ten years ago. This female-run business has expanded its brand—they have some pretty cute aprons, a sweet potato biscuit mix, and a cherry chipotle mocktail elixir. Add these low sugar jams to your breakfast routine and you’ll never buy another brand again. 

Zach & Zoe Sweet Bee Farm

The Zach & Zoe Sweet Bee Farm grew out of one family’s quest to find a cure to their son Zach’s seasonal allergies. To strengthen his intolerance to pollen, Zach started eating raw honey and his allergies improved. Zach & Zoe’s raw honey is sold at Chelsea Market (which isn’t too far from campus) and their flavors are to die for. Matcha, beetroot, and raspberry honey sure are sweet. 

Yahshi Bakes

Yahshi Bakes is an Oakland-based business selling freshly made goods baked by Yahshimabet Sellassie who is only seventeen! Sellassie started baking at a young age and competed on Food Network’s Kids Baking Championship which launched her bakes to international fame. From lemongrass raspberry cupcakes to chai snickerdoodles, Yahshi aims to honor her Jamaican and Ethiopian roots. 

Claudia Langella is a Literary Studies major at Lang and is the Chapter Leader of HCTNS. When she's not writing, it's likely you'll find her in the kitchen or taking long walks in the city.