absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

In the words of 2008 Miley Cyrus, WAKE UP, AMERICA! THE EARTH IS CALLING OUT, not just on Earth Day, but each and every day.

Climate change and global warming are two terms we are all way too familiar with. Society has become blind to its over excessive lifestyles, and most of the time we don’t even know that our everyday routines are hurting the environment. But don’t fret! There are so many small changes we can make to reduce our carbon footprint and (hopefully) restore the environment. Earth Day should be celebrated every day. Why limit “going green” to 24 hours? Go green every day of the year!

MAKE LESS WASTE!

Always carry a reusable shopping bag This is one of the easiest ways to cut down on your waste! Whether you’re going to the dining hall or a grocery run, always opt for a reusable bag.

Use dining ware Another obvious way to cut down on producing waste is to use silverware or plates. If you’re at the dining hall, ask for a plate instead of a takeaway box. Try bringing a travel mug or stainless steel straw to your favorite coffee shop, too! And always carry a reusable water bottle so you can stay hydrated throughout the day.

Buy in bulk Instead of buying three bottles of kombucha or cold brew, opt for the multi-serving bottle. It’s likely more cost-effective and your waste won’t pile up! You can also buy rice, beans and baking ingredients from the bulk section in order to cut down on packaging.

Donate or sell your clothes Instead of throwing your lightly worn articles of clothing in the trash, donate them to Goodwill or sell them at a thrift shop. Not only is it good for the environment, but it helps someone and need and you can make a little pocket money out of it! The fashion industry is one of the largest polluters on earth so shop more sustainably at thrift stores.

CONSERVE ENERGY!

Use less water Try taking shorter showers to cut down on your water use. And never leave the faucet running when you’re brushing your teeth. You’ll not only help the environment but your water bills, too!

Walk more If your destination isn’t too far away, walk instead of taking the subway or an Uber. Using public transportation is better than each person in the city revving up a car, but it still pollutes the air we breathe every day.

Unplug your chargers Before you leave in the morning, unplug anything that won’t be in use for the day. Although your devices may not be charging, your outlets are still running with unneeded energy.

REDUCE TOXINS!

Shop for organic food Buy organic food that is grown without pesticides. If the price of organic food turns you away from making a purchase, opt for food that is grown in season from local farms. A great place to find organic and natural produce is at the Union Square Greenmarket!

Buy chemical-free products So many industries are swapping harmful chemicals out of their ingredient lists for natural ones. Chemicals in cleaning supplies, makeup and body wash (just to name a few products conventionally packed with toxins) are not only harmful to your body but hurt the environment, too. When you brush your teeth with conventional toothpaste or clean your hair with artificially fragranced shampoos, the chemicals infiltrate water supplies everywhere. Do your part to keep the environment as clean as possible!

Fill your space with plants In addition to emitting oxygen, plants do a great job of improving the quality of the air you breathe. Many plants absorb gases that can be harmful to the body such as benzene and formaldehyde. Find out what plants purify the air best here.

Claudia Langella is a Literary Studies major at Lang and is the Chapter Leader of HCTNS. When she's not writing, it's likely you'll find her in the kitchen or taking long walks in the city.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com