This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

So now that it’s October it’s time to break out the sweaters and jackets, but wait, it’s still 70 degrees out and humid. How do you cope with this in between weather that changes day by day with warmer and cooler temperatures? 

1. Scarves are an easy accessory that can be worn in many ways. It’s a good item to keep you warm if there is a little chill in the air, but don’t want to wear a full out jacket. Also, it can be styled as a wrap or a shawl for a chic look. I always like to wear a scarf as an extra accessory that pulls an outfit together.

Source: brightontheday.com

2. Another styling tip for this in between weather is how you combine tops and bottoms. Try long pants and a shirt with short sleeves. Or maybe some shorts or a skirt with a long sleeved top. This combination of pieces with short and long items is helpful for making you not too hot, but still keeping you warm if there is a bit of a chill.

3. Layers, Layers, Layers. Wearing a blouse over a t-shirt is a cute way to combine your pieces while still keeping it versatile for the weather. If it’s especially chilly you can add a cardigan or sweater. This is the same concept for dresses too, you can choose to have a t-shirt styled underneath a dress or over it so that it looks like you are wearing a skirt. This works well especially if you don’t want to say good bye to a favorite summer dress.

Source: thefixblog.co.za

4. Pair your dresses and skirts with tights or leggings. Tights can come in so many different colors, patterns, and fabrics including lace. Use them to your advantage and add some flair to an outfit that’s not usually paired with tights and leggings.

5. Shoes, if it’s still warm out, you can get away with open toed shoes and sandals. I’m still wearing my open toed wedges everywhere I go. As the weather gets colder though I will break out my boots and may decide to pair them with a dress or skirt.

6. I am a big fan of slip dresses and love styling them in new ways. It can be paired with so many things whether it’s a t-shirt underneath it or a blazer worn over it. It gives the perfect touch of contrasting pieces that go together well.

7. Hats are another accessory that come in many styles and colors. With so many options, one will surely to fit with your outfit. This is another accessory to keep you warm and stylish.

These are just a few of the ways you can balance your wardrobe in the changing weather. Get creative with pairing your clothing together and trying new combinations you may not have thought of trying before. Don’t put away a piece of clothing just because it’s not the season for it. A lot of times you can style a favorite item with other pieces and make it work. 

Lauren Errick

New School '21

Lauren studies fashion design at Parsons School of Design at the New School.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com