Life > Experiences

Brooklyn’s Best: A Navigational Guide for the Everyday Manhattanite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

There’s no denying it; The New School is located in just about the best possible neighborhood in the world. Greenwich Village and its surrounding areas, as well as Manhattan as a whole, has a slew of benefits that we get to reap every single day. However, as fantastic as our neck of the woods is, today I want to share the very best highlights from a borough not far from our own: Brooklyn.

With culture, diversity, and entertainment that gives Manhattan a run for her money on every front, Brooklyn is definitely an area that should not be neglected during your time in the Big Apple. In just a short train ride, you’ll wind up in some of the city’s best hidden treasures (plus, you get to experience them with far fewer tourists).

Prospect Park

Yes, Manhattan has Central Park, but Brooklyn’s Prospect Park is a rival in every respect. With its gorgeous hills, serene pathways, and trees as far as the eye can see, you’re bound to forget about the hustle and bustle of the city when you spend an afternoon in this safe haven. Don’t forget to visit the Brooklyn Public Library and Botanical Gardens while you’re there!

Brooklyn Museum

After your lunch picnic in Prospect Park, be sure to head over to the Brooklyn Museum located just off the greenery. Boasting artists from the Guerrilla Girls, to Basquiat, to Judy Chicago, this is a visit you won’t want to skip out on as a creative TNS student. Not only do the galleries boast incredible art, but also some amazing public events. Check out the range of events offered here if you’re looking for a way to spice up your weekends.

P.S. students 19 and younger are admitted free of charge!

DUMBO

While DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) doesn’t quite meet the aforementioned “few tourists” claim, that doesn’t mean it’s not worth a visit. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and you’ll find yourself in this relaxing waterfront neighborhood, which also happens to boast some of the best pizza in the city. Full of rich history and fantastic shops, this is a stop to add to your bucket list.

Music Hall of Williamsburg  

Catch the L train at Union Square and in just three stops you’ll find yourself in the heart of Williamsburg. Once there, you cannot miss seeing a show at the famous Music Hall of Williamsburg, an oasis of music and nightlife in this eclectic Brooklyn neighborhood. Here is a full list of upcoming shows and events that you won’t want to miss.

The Bushwick Collective

Not only is this incredible public gallery full of world famous graffiti open to the public on the streets of Bushwick, but it is also always changing. Graffiti art by nature is ever-evolving because new messages get layered over one another in order to stay relevant and exciting, hence it is worth visiting over and over again! For great tips on how to maneuver the Bushwick streets and catch the highlights, check out TimeOut’s fantastic tips on how to get around if you’re a first time visitor.

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com