This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

For most of us newcomers, being holed up in our bedrooms studying might not be our exact cup of tea, especially living in a busy place like New York City. Don’t you want to be a part of the constant stream of activity? I know I do. However, we all have responsibilities and loads of homework to get to, so, when and most importantly, where can we get everything done without feeling like we’re being drawn into the strong temptation of our soft, warm beds?

Fortunately, The New School has ideal, quiet spots where a cup of coffee, or a gorgeous view of fifth avenue is only a couple steps away. Here are a few of my favorite study spots that I hope you’ll enjoy too:

O Café

Located on the eighth floor of the 6 East 16th Street building, it’s a slightly secluded but open space to sit down and work while enjoying a serving of coffee or two. It’s conveniently placed on the same floor as the Vera List Library, so the printers and any book you might need are readily accessible.

Vera List Library

Speaking of the List Library, it has a lot of natural light and a ton of study spaces. It has rooms for group projects (though you have to book them in advance), spaces with lounge chairs, tables, and carrels. The picture below is from an open workspace near the library.

Lang Courtyard

Ideal for reading, snacking, or a quick meet up with friends! Located between the 65 West 11th & 66 West 12th Street buildings.

Event Cafe

Located in the University Center, the Event Cafe is the perfect place to snack while working (with a snack bar located underneath the stair case), work on a group project, or get an assignment done last minute before class.

University Center Library

With two stories of books and comfortable seats overlooking Fifth Avenue, you’d be hard-pressed not to find a good spot to study here. The entrance to the library is on the sixth floor of the UC with a staircase located inside that leads to the second floor. Each floor has computer stations, just in case you happened to leave your Macbook at home, and printers available at your leisure. My absolute favorite spot however, are the chairs facing the high, glass windows with a panoramic view of the buildings surrounding it.

The Social Justice Hub

Located a floor below the UC’s library, is the Social Justice Hub. Overlooking Fifth Avenue as well, this space is perfect for working on group projects in comfort, or to simply relax in-between classes. On the other side of the lounge chair area are chairs and tables if you need a bit more space.

Bobst Library

The main NYU library, located on 70 Washington Square, has twelve stories providing you with rows and rows of books on every level. It’s tables are all well situated next to windows overlooking Washington Square Park. If you like a silent, cozy place you can hide in for a while, even if it’s not to study, Bobst Library is for you.

Cooper Union Library

Last but not least, in addition to the Bobst library, New School students also have access to Cooper Union’s library. Decent views, books, and sofas, perfect for a relaxed homework session. It’s located on 7th Street and Cooper Square.

I am a quirky introvert attempting to make her way around New York City, with a deep desire to help as many people as possible along this new chapter in my life. I am a Journalism major at The New School and have previously been published in "A celebration of poets: Fall 2015", as well as written for my high school's newsletter. I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences in college as much as I enjoy writing about them!
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com