This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

You can usually find me procrastinating my real-life important responsibilities, scrolling through Pinterest looking at famous women and their outfits. And what I’ve learned from endless scrolling, listening to these artists, watching their films, and reading their biographies, is that obviously, they’re all beautiful women- but it’s really their confidence that makes them style icons.

It’s not what you wear it’s how you wear it. Sure that might be a bit cliche to say, but it’s still 100% true. It’s about not caring what other people think. It’s knowing that you like it, so you’re gonna f*cking wear it, and wear it good.

So this International Women’s Week/Month (should be the whole damn year), I wanted to highlight 7 of my favorite ladies and their styles, which have inspired me.

Barbara Stanwyck

I first fell in love with Barbara in high school after watching her in The Lady Eve where she plays a card shark who tricks Henry Fonda into falling in love with her, twice, as two different people. It’s a long story, but she’s a badass and has really great eyebrows. In the 1930s and 40s, she played pretty empowering, conniving, complex female roles. From femme fatales to a sex worker, her characters always turned the tables on men. Also, she’s totally rockin’ those slacks.

Cher

Oh, Cher, this was so damn hard to narrow down to four looks. There are a plethora of iconic Cher outfits which now live in a folder on my laptop, but as you can see from these picks, the girl was big on sequins. Cher’s my summer 2k19 inspo for sure-  lots of sequins, no bra, a slight look of boredom, but unfortunately, I’ll never be able to get my hair that straight.

Princess Diana

Kim K who???? Princess Di was rocking the biker shorts before it was a questionable trend that I’m still not sure how I feel about (sorry), but she’s making it work. Also, I’m pretty sure Di was actually going to the gym in these looks, and the consistent long-sleeve shirt, biker shorts, white high socks, and sunglass might be my new running errands outfit. Perfect because I’d never actually go to the gym, but people might think I’m on my way there.

Whitney Houston

My girl Whitney gave us so many hits, but most importantly, I Wanna Dance with Somebody, which is the soundtrack to my life. Find me a party I’ve attended in the past 5 years where I didn’t threaten the DJ to play that song- you can’t. I could go on, but I’m here to talk about her effortless style. Her 1991 National Anthem performance at the Super Bowl was not only iconic in that its the greatest rendition of that song in history, but her tracksuit. I mean she rolled up in a tracksuit and headband and was like I’m gonna sing this song so that anyone else who sings it after me sounds like garbage. God, I wish my head wasn’t so big so I could rock a headband.

Diana Ross

Damnit, Diana- this might’ve been more painful than Cher. But again, with the sequins- ugh these women understand me. I need everything. From the green fur jacket to the green gloves to that sparkly bodysuit/romper thing to her ultimate diva attitude.

Selena

Yessss. Selena knew how powerful a crop top and long pant combination was. Not to mention this bathing suit cover-up action going on, will most definitely channel this during Spring Break- now where’s my yacht?

Bianca Jagger

My first ever style crush. But Bianca isn’t just some lady who was once married to that dude in the Rolling Stones (sorry Mick, I still love you)- she’s a style icon and also a Nicaraguan social and human rights advocate and serves as a Council of Europe goodwill ambassador. Also, look at her big ass hat! And those suits! A true HBIC. 

Logan Mahan

New School '20

Logan is a senior studying Journalism + Design at The New School. Her interests include (but not limited to) fashion, politics, red wine, the Bee Gees, playing "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston at every function she attends, and of course, writing. 
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com