timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Staying On Good Terms with Your Local Baristas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

I’ve been a barista for almost 5 years, and part of the job is seeing the same people every day. You’d be surprised at how many people come into the same coffee shop and order the same thing every morning! But I do appreciate the sense of ritual, and I know that the ladies at the coffee shop I regularly patronize are the coolest, so how do you stay on good terms with a barista you see all the time? 

1. Tip! 

I always notice who tips and who doesn’t. I’m not saying you have to tip every single time, but it can be odd to know that the costumer I have friendly chats with doesn’t value my labor. And remember! Cash tips are always better because they can’t be taxed and thus the worker takes home more! 

2. Let Them Engage in Conversation First

If they’re in a talkative mood or particularly cool with you, you’ll know! Those who want to talk with you outside the context of your order will do so! This goes quadruple for if you have a crush on a barista. Let them make a move, hitting on food service workers is creepy but me writing my number on a coffee sleeve is a clear sign without making a scene at work. 

3. Be Clear with Your Order 

I know It can be hard to keep track of all the different names and sizes of all the popular coffee shops, but if you order a drink in a way I’m not familiar with, it may take me a moment to clear it up. For example, a lady ordered a chocolate coffee. Did she mean a mocha? Drip coffee with flavoring? A chocolate frappucino? It turns out she meant a signature drink but didn’t think to use the name for it. 

4. Clean up After Yourself

Again, baristas remember things! We know which customers always leave plates and spills, so don’t be that person who is making more work for someone!

5. Be nice! 

I have so many great regulars, and I’ve gotten to know them because they act kindly during the transaction, and I feel comfortable to take it to a friendlier place. It starts with the customer!

Merlin Garcia

New School '21

Merlin Garcia was born in Austin, Texas and now attends Eugene Lang College. She studies film with a concentration in screenwriting. She hopes to someday work in television and publish a book of essays.