This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

As more streaming services, such as HBO Max, Peacock, Amazon Prime, Netflix expand their collection, finding what to watch could get overwhelming. For some, the wide range of options that these streaming services offer could drive people to never use them, especially for the recently launched service HBO Max; HBO Max was launched on May 27th of 2020. This streaming service has a wide selections of options from the DC Universe films and animated Television shows to fan favorites like Euphoria. Here’s a list of 5 shows to binge-watch on HBO Max:

I May Destroy You 

This British comedy-drama is a must-see, as we get to see Michaela Coel’s amazing acting and writing on the screen again. I May Destroy You follows novelist Arabella Essiedu (Michaela Coel) in London. As Arabella attempts to finish her second novel on a tight deadline, she takes a break and goes out with some friends. The next morning, she wakes up not remembering what happened the night before but tries to piece together the events of the night. This critically acclaimed comedy-drama brings up important issues surrounding sex and trauma. Coel’s writing and acting truly stand out along with her co-stars, Weruche Opia and Paapa Essiedu.

We Are Who We Are

From the director of Call Me By Your Name and Suspiria, Luca Guadagnino focuses on American teenagers who reside on a military base in Chioggia, Italy during the 2016 election. We Are Who We Are explores the topics of friendship, identity, and many others. There is also a star-studded cast with Chloë Sevigny, Scott Mescudi, and Jack Dylan Grazer. Along with with this all-star cast, the music is beautifully composed by Devonte Hynes, known by his stage name Blood Orange. 

Betty

If you loved Skate Kitchen and Skate Culture, you’re going to enjoy this show. Betty follows the girls from Skate Kitchen as they navigate the male-dominated world of skateboarding. This comedy is a gem if you want to see more of the charm from the Skate Kitchen girls that you saw in the 2017 film, Skate Kitchen (Directed by Crystal Moselle). This 6 episode series is a quick watch, but be on the lookout for season 2!

Adventure Time

It would be a shame not to include any of HBO Max’s animation selections when bringing up which shows to watch. This series is one of the pillars of Gen Z’s childhood. With Dramas and Comedies, HBO Max also has childhood classics. If you’re in the mood for a childhood favorite, I highly recommend binge-watching Adventure Time. The characters and the world as a whole are beautifully crafted animation wise. Take a trip down memory lane and follow Jake and Finn as they go on different adventures!

Insecure 

This comedy-drama is personally one of my favorite shows to rewatch. If you’re a fan of Issa Rae, this is a show you should rewatch, especially after the recent announcement that Insecure will be ending after the 5th season. Insecure follows Issa Dee (Issa Rae) as she navigates her life through her friendship with Molly (Yvonne Orji), relationships, and work-life in LA. This show will make you laugh and cry. Issa Rae’s comedic writing is the heart of the show. It’s a show you can’t miss!

These selections are just a few of what HBO Max has to offer. They have a wide array of films, TV series, and animated series to choose from. Have fun binge watching!

I'm a senior in the culture & media program! Filmmaker and Writer, I love writing about film, TV, and other topics pertaining to pop culture especially in today's age. For inquiries: hi@monicasinaloa.com Want to see other work? https://www.monicasinaloa.com/
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com