5 New Releases for Your Fall Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Sometimes (especially while you’re in college), reading for pleasure can seem like a luxury that doesn’t exist. I’m here, however, to encourage you otherwise. And to show you that with a list of books as diverse and engaging as the one below, you won’t have to think twice about trading a Netflix episode for a chapter of any of the listed texts. With so many incredible new releases, this list was hard to compile, but that just means there’s really no right or wrong choice, no matter which one of them you choose to add to your collection. 

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

The memoir that needs no introduction, “What Happened” is the infamous tale of Secretary Hillary Clinton’s election loss to Donald Trump. Many are already saying that this is her most candid memoir yet. Its striking cover design and provocative title create an image unlike any other. It’s one you should consider picking up no matter how you feel about the election results.

Bernie Sanders’ Guide to Political Revolution” by Bernie Sanders

Senator Bernie Sanders outlines the major visions that brought him such success amongst young people in his campaign for president in a book geared toward that very demographic. From progressive tax reform to health care, immigration and Wall Street, Senator Sanders has outlined a step-by-step guide on how to keep his revolution going in the wake of our current political climate.

Coming to My Senses by Alice Waters

The celebrated Alice Waters recalls the highs and lows of her unparalleled culinary career in her newest memoir, “Coming to My Senses.” She includes stunning photographs from her career, and discusses the lessons she’s learned from life and from cooking as intertwining forces that have guided her to where she is now. Waters was also recently highlighted for being the first woman to win the James Beard Award for Outstanding Chef in the TIME Firsts Special Project.  

Devotion (Why I Write) by Patti Smith

Patti Smith is well-known for her stunning memoir “Just Kids” as well as her countless contributions to music, but in “Devotion (Why I Write)” she allows us to glimpse into writing as an extension of her artistic practice. Smith invites us into her mind to untangle all the nuances behind her work as a writer, and how that lead to her numerous awards and recognitions beyond the realm of music.

the sun and her flowers by Rupi Kaur

Okay, I know everyone reading this has a copy (or knows someone who does) of “milk and honey,” which is why I know you’ll be thrilled to hear that Rupi Kaur has FINALLY released more poetry. With illustrations by Kaur herself, the collection is divided into five parts, and explores “a journey of wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming.” Considering her first book was a #1 New York Times Bestseller, I have no doubt that Rupi Kaur will not let us down in her second edition. 

[Feature Image by Pexels]

If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com