Now that Valentine’s day is over ending a long time period of Christmas, New Year’s and the day of love itself, I feel like a time that can be tough for singles is finally over. Of course, you don’t have to be in a relationship to celebrate love, but I would be a liar if I said I didn’t wanted to sometimes cuddle in bed with my significant other rather than my dog (that I love endlessly). I think it is completely normal to have a need for love, but sometimes I feel like it’s taking way too much of my time and energy away. I don’t know if I’m the only one, but there are days when I lay in bed and think about what if I never find someone? What if I’ll be forever alone??? But luckily, a few seconds or sometimes minutes later, my senses come back to me and I say to myself: “Girl, calm down. You’re 20. Not 60.”

I can only speak for myself, but honestly, I’m so done to with thinking about it, worrying about it; and not in a bitter “I hate couples and love”-kind of way. No, I just figured I’m more at peace with myself without it. At some point, I realized how I always felt like I needed a boyfriend, how I needed at least a guy to talk to. I tried a serious relationship, I tried to just have fun, I tried to get over the guy I was interested in by going on random dates. Once it ended, I was already feeling like I need to find someone else.

A while ago, however, I decided to stop. Why? Maybe I’m just too endlessly romantic to pretend like I might actually find my soulmate on Tinder or Hinge. Maybe I just realized how much better and relaxed I felt without pressuring myself so much. Because I was always trying to find someone, not being able to find that person felt like failing. Which it obviously isn’t. Only time will tell.

Speaking of time, can you imagine how much time I’ve saved myself by not swiping through dating apps, not waiting for responses or worrying about some guy? Well, it’s a lot which I had rather spent with being productive, doing sports or spending time with my friends (and actually talk about us and not our dating issues).

Do your taken friends also always tell you something like “Enjoy being single as long as you can”? And have you also thought “Oh yeah, poor you in your happy relationship I see how terribly sad you are about not being single,”? Well I for sure did, but actually it is kind of true. As I said in these last paragraphs many times before: Our time and energy is precious and should not be wasted. I enjoy that I have my bed all for myself and don’t have someone snorring next to me. I’m happy that I don’t have to struggle with coordinating my friends and my relationship. I appreciate that I can just take care of my own well-being und prioritize myself. For sure, I want love and a relationship and am ready to lose a little sleep over some snorring or whatever, but I’m sure that eventually everything works out, and until then, I make the best of it and enjoy being single by choice. And so can you.

German girl studying in the U.S. that loves fashion, music and girl power. Antonia is a Junior at NCSU pursuing a German-American Double Degree in Business Administration with a minor in Journalism. In her free time she likes to listen to music, go out with her friends and do sports. However, her greatest interest is in the fashion industry, which is why she has already gained several professional experiences in this field.