Felicity Warner / HCM
Entertainment

My Favorite (and Least Favorite) Looks At the 2022 Oscars

Awards season is one of the best times of the year. I love pop culture and love watching the Grammys, Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, you name it. The Oscars are my favorite though. I am not sure why, I just really love the show and more importantly love the fashion. 

Last year’s ceremony was very toned down due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so I was extra excited to hear that the fashion for the 2022 event was going to be even more over the top than usual. With that being said, here are my favorite and least favorite looks from the 2022 Academy Awards. 

FAVORITES (In no particular order)

Sofia Carson in Giambattista Valli

I am such a huge fan of Giambattista Valli pieces and this dress is so beautiful. The draping over her shoulder is so elegant and the look is super overrated.

Saniyya Sidney in Armani

This is one of the most beautiful gowns of the night. The color is so beautiful and the embroidery is absolutely stunning and super unique.

Lily James in Versace

Pink was definitely the color of the night and Lily James understood the assignment. I love the lace and chiffon combination and the dress was super simple and stunning.

Nicky Hilton in Jenny Packham

Jenny Packham is another designer that I love. This gown screams Old Hollywood glamour and looks great on Hilton who is expecting her third child.

Sebastian Yatra in Moschino

This whole look is camp. He followed the pink theme of the night and killed it.

Regina Hall in Vera Wang

Hall was one of the three hosts of the night alongside Amy Schumer and Wanda Sykes and was definitely the best dressed out of the three. I love this chiffon dress and think she looked great in it. 

Lupita Nyong’o in Prada

This was one of the most unique outfits of the night and I thought it was such a different look for Lupita but she pulled it off.

Jessica Chastain in Gucci

I am still on the fence on if I like this one or not, but it is another unique look and I love the Gucci collection that it came from so I wanted to include it.

Andrew Garfield in Saint Laurent

Andrew Garfield has really been stepping up his red carpet looks and I really like this Saint Laurent suit that he went with. I love the burgundy velvet jacket and think that the undershirt is really cool.

Jacob Elordi in Burberry

I need to start by saying that I know this is not a unique look at all and is as basic as you can get, but I love Jacob Elordi and have to include him because even though his outfit is basic, he looks very put together and polished.

Timothée Chalamet in Louis Vuitton

TIMOTHEE HAL CHALAMET DID NOT COME TO PLAY!!! When I saw this look I got up and started freaking out. I will admit that I am biased because I am a huge fan of his, but this look was one of the best looks of the night. Now I know people were very upset that he decided to go shirtless, but when you are the fashion icon that is Mr. Chalamet, you don’t have to follow the rules because that is what fashion is all about. 

Zendaya in Valentino

The queen of fashion did not disappoint. This look was different for Zendaya but of course worked so well. Being the face of Valentino, it was not a shock that she wore the brand and the cropped business shirt and silver skirt work so perfectly. 

Megan Thee Stallion in Gaurav Gupta

I did not realize that Megan was going to be attending this years event, and when I saw her I was so happy. This dress is so much fun and I love the elegant haphazard structure of the bottom.

Billie Eilish in Gucci

At first, I was not a fan of this look but when more photos came out I realized how interesting and pretty it was. It made Eilish look like a chic cupcake wrapper in the best way possible and I love how it matched her hair color.

Mila Kunis in Zuhair Murad

I absolutely love this blush satin gown that Mila Kunis wore. I have never really paid attention to her red carpet looks, but I love this look on her and think it is super elegant.

LEAST FAVORITES (In no particular order)

Naomi Scott in Fendi

This look was not it.  It looked like one of the capes that you get when you get your haircut and I just don’t like it at all.

Tracee Ellis Ross in Carolina Herrera

I typically love Carolina Herrera but this dress looked like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen. 

Amy Schumer in Oscar De La Renta

Schumer was one of the three hosts this year and I am underwhelmed with this choice of gown. I was expecting something more but I am not surprised that this is what she wore. 

Kristen Stewart in Chanel

This might have been my least favorite look. The bootyshorts are NOT the moves even if they are Chanel.

Maggie Gyllenhaal in Schiaparelli 

I typically really like Schiaparaelli looks, but this one was not flattering on her at all and it was wearing her more than she was wearing the gown.

Rickey Thompson in GCDS

I have no words for this look because it is just too much and honestly looks like an arts and craft project. 

Renate Reinsve in Louis Vuitton

No. Just no. I have no clue what this is and I do not like one thing about it.

Overall, this years Oscars was full of excitement and shocking moments. There were many great looks and some that just weren’t the best, but I really enjoyed it and look forward to next years ceremony. 

Cameron is the president of Her Campus at NC State and is a sophomore. She is from Charlotte, North Carolina and hopes to work as a fashion editor in New York City after graduating.