The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Tis The Most Stressful Time of The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Finals period is coming up very, very soon, and if you are anything like me, you are probably regretting procrastinating your revision until now.

I’m not here to tell you to prepare packed study schedules (that you probably wouldn’t follow anyway), or how to motivate yourself by designing aesthetic looking timetables. Nor am I here to give you any tips on revising and writing notes (God knows I would be the most terrible person to turn to for that).

All I want to tell all of you is to take care of yourself. Be it your mental health or your physical health (stress pimples are, unfortunately, still a thing), self-care is super important, even more so during this very stressful period for every student. And the best way to help you through this draining period is sleep.

You will need lots and lots of rest. Don’t worry about not having enough time to revise everything — a lot of that information is already in your mind. You just have to puke it all out onto your paper come finals time.

I happen to live far, far away from campus and I also seem to have a debilitating condition where I can’t seem to wake up at ass o’clock in the morning. So how did the stressed-out me make extra sure to reach school on time for that 9 a.m. paper?

Well, what I did was to just… not sleep at all.

I would try to take a nap early on in the day, and then stay up writing and reading notes for the rest of the night. I don’t know how I was able to keep up with this for so long but trust me, this is NOT the right way to go about dealing with finals. You will be tired and your brain will not be at its best state. At one point for a certain English Literature paper that will remain unnamed, I’m pretty sure that I fell asleep while writing one of several short essays. I literally just blacked out and I have no idea what or even how I wrote that essay.

Don’t be like me, girls.

I know you are smart enough, you have worked hard enough, and now you need to rest enough. That is not the most catchiest or grammatically correct sentence but I hope you will remember it and apply it in your life right now. Sleep just has so many benefits for you and getting adequate rest will help you pull through this stressful period!

And I cannot reiterate this enough – grades are NOT everything in your life. Yes, they may affect your future jobs, but they are not and will never be an accurate representation of who you are as a person. Honestly, if a company doesn’t hire you based on your GPA alone, do you really want to work at such a place?? A good hiring manager would know to look at your actual working skills and experience rather than at numbers on a printed paper anyway.

With that, I am going off for a nap, and I hope you will too.

Jia you everyone — before you know it, your long-deserved holiday will be here!

Syazana Khairunnas

Nanyang Tech '21

Syaz is a 3rd year English Literature student who doesn't know how she's survived this long. When she's free (read: procrastinating), she's either catching up on her too long 'to-watch' list or her too long 'to-read' list. Feel free to recommend her stuff to watch or read - she loves to have more excuses to procrastinate from doing schoolwork.