Unpopular Opinion: I Don’t Like Dogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I want to start by saying that I am not a horrible person. I do have a heart and it’s not just dogs. I don’t like all pets. I don’t like cats, dogs, turtles, hamsters, hedgehogs, or any other pet you might have.

Let me explain myself before you stop reading. I never had any pets growing up. I never established an attachment to any sort of household animal. When I see a dog on the street I don’t feel the need to kneel down and pet it. Usually, I take a step away and try and avoid their paws touching my shoes.

I don’t need to see pictures of your cat playing with a ball of yarn. And I definitely don’t need to see a video of your dog dressed up for Halloween. It’s awkward for both of us. I don’t give the reaction that you want me to give. You know that, “Awww they look so cute” — that reaction.  Usually, then I am standing there with a weird look on my face and try to get out of the situation as soon as possible.

I like other animals though. I like the big cats like lions, and tigers. I like the big ones like elephants and rhinos. It’s the  interesting animals that are almost illegal to own.

Like I said, I am not a bad person. There are other people like me around the world. I understand the need to show off the little booties you made for your turtle. I get that you want everyone to see how adorable your golden retriever looks when he’s covered in mud. Go ahead and show me if you really want to. But we won’t share the same reaction and I want enjoy it as much as you.

It is what it is. Please don’t hate me. We are all entitled to our opinions. Here’s a picture of a dog so that maybe you’ll hate me a little less.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.