This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

When I lived in the dorms, I quickly got sick of eating dining hall food. Although it was very convenient for me to walk into the dining hall, get ready-made food within minutes, and not worry about having to wash dishes, it got old fast when I didn’t have autonomy over what I wanted to eat, and when I couldn’t find various vegetarian options. When I decided to go off campus, I was excited to have my own kitchen. I could have my own groceries and make my own meals!

Although it has been fun to cook, I now realize how much I miss dining halls, but have thought of some quick, easy recipes. Without further ado, here are some (maybe weird) meatless foods I eat!

Pb&J_
Christin Urso / Spoon

Peanut Butter Toast with Sriracha

I like spicy and savory foods because I was raised on them. The spiciness of sriracha compliments the peanut butter. It helps it to not taste so bland.

Tomatoes near basil leaves
Pexels

Tomato, Pesto, and Mozzarella Sandwich

• Toast bread
  • Spread pesto on both pieces of bread
  • Add mozzarella inside 
  • Heat to melt cheese a bit
  • Add tomato to sandwich 

Peanut Noodle Salad
Alex Frank / Spoon

Ramen with Vegetables & Peanut Butter

This is a quick meal that can be made within minutes. I love peanut thai noodles, and this is the quickest and closest way to mimic it. 

• Boil vegetables and noodles
  • Strain 
  • Mix everything together with the soy sauce powder packet, peanut butter, and additional spices/seasoning.

vegetables
Photo by Ella Olsson on Unsplash

Vegetable Quesadilla

This is another quick meal. I usually use frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, & carrots) but black beans, lima beans, and other vegetables can be used too! You can eat it with hot sauce and guac or sour cream.

• Saute vegetables with spices and seasoning, keep aside
  • Heat up two tortillas
  • Place one down, put cheese on it, place vegetables on it
  • Place another tortilla on top
  • Flip and cut

Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon

Grains with Vegetable Sauté 

Grains are always healthy options. I have been eating more brown rice, quinoa, and black rice at school. If you have a mini rice cooker or Instant Pot, these can be cooked so quickly! I usually throw a cup of black rice in the cooker, and make a vegetable saute to go with it. The saute I usually make is purple cabbage with peas, cauliflower… anything works! (I usually cut up the purple cabbage when I’m free and store it for later). 

I had never tried black rice or purple cabbage before!

~

Overall, cooking for myself has been a great experience. It can be time consuming, but it has taught me to discover new foods, healthier foods, and has taught me to become independent. 

MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.