Organizations to Support in Lieu of Michigan State University’s Mass Shooting on February 13th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

*Content warning: This story discusses sensitive topics including school shootings*

Michigan State University is home to both myself and 50,000+ staff and students. It’s a place where alumni gather for tailgates and football games, where students achieve their dreams, and a place that is supposed to be safe. Our community lost three beautiful souls because of a mass shooter. Five other students now suffer injuries. MSU Police and Public Safety’s Facebook page continues to offer updates on the victims and as of March 3rd, one student is still in critical condition. We know that gun violence is a problem, more so, a uniquely American problem. How can we take action? How can we help prevent these heinous acts in our country? How can we call action to gun control, with more extensive background checks and procedures to obtain a weapon? Americans deserve the right to protect themselves, but they deserve the right to be protected even more. Here are some organizations that you can support to help prevent more mass shootings:

March For Our Lives

March For Our Lives is a non-profit organization that was founded after the Parkland, FL shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in 2018. They plan marches across the United States to protest the lack of gun control we have nationwide. You can support this organization by going to their events, making a donation, volunteering at a march, or even just sharing their social media posts. To find out more about the organization and its impact, visit www.marchforourlives.com

No Future Without Today

No Future Without Today was founded after the mass shooting at Oxford High School in Oxford, MI. This organization is relatively new, as it was created in 2022, but its impact has been astronomical. Their organization is student led, and helps promote the need for gun control by holding politicians accountable and educating the community. For more information, resources, or a link to donate, visit https://linktr.ee/nofuturewithouttoday

Everytown

Everytown is an organization that has many opportunities to get involved for all ages. They educate people on how to be a proper gun owner, how to prohibit assault weapons, and even have violence prevention programs. Their goal is to not take away guns, but to prevent gun violence by supporting policies that will implement stricter gun control regulations. By simply visiting their website, you can find a plethora of information about all things relating to gun violence, and how you can get involved. Visit www.everytown.org for more information, to get involved, and/or to donate. 

Moms Demand Action

If you are a mom looking to make a difference in your community or have a parent looking to get involved, Moms Demand Action, part of the Everytown organization, is a great organization to support. There are chapters in each state, so no matter where you are, you can help. Moms Demand Action provides outlets for survivors to tell their stories, supports protests/rallies against gun violence, lobbies for gun control, holds events, and more. They are a group that has made a huge difference in this country, and are always looking for more support. For more information, visit https://momsdemandaction.org

Witnessing a school shooting can be traumatic, no matter where you were when it happened. Losing fellow Spartans, even if you didn’t personally know them, is an objectively devastating loss. If you want to support the Michigan State community directly, visit this link tree: linktr.ee/msustrong. Mental health resources are listed in this Linktree as well. 

To my fellow Spartans in Her Campus and in all other walks of life, stay strong. We are all in this together and will do everything in our power to prevent more gun violence. Enough is enough. Spartans will make a difference. 

Charlotte Plotzke (She/Her/Hers) is double majoring in communication and music at Michigan State University, and is projected to graduate in the Spring of 2024. Plotzke serves as an assistant editor for Michigan State University's Her Campus chapter, where she assists in editing and publishing articles for the chapter. Plotzke won second place in the "News" category in the 2023 Her Campus Chapter Awards for her article covering a March For Our Lives rally against gun violence in Lansing, MI, which served to honor the victims of the MSU shooting on February 13th, 2023. On top of writing about activism, wellness, experiences, pop-culture, and current events, Plotzke enjoys going to concerts, cooking, singing, traveling, and watching bad reality TV.