This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

During autumn, when life starts to slow down after a hectic summer, I am always re-inspired to start cooking again. The promise of warm soups, cinnamon-spiced anything, and an excuse to procrastinate finishing my assignments is enough of a reason for me to pull out a recipe book. Here are a few of the tastiest vegetarian meals to make this fall (warning: so much squash)!

Roasted Butternut Squash with Risotto and Broccoli

My dad has been making this recipe for years. It is unbelievably delicious and the perfect warm fall dinner. This recipe serves 2 people with enough for leftovers!

– 1 butternut squash

– 2 cups short-grain Arborio rice

– 5 ½ cups veggie broth

– 2 heads broccoli (stems removed, cut into florets)

– 6 tbsp olive oil

– 2 tbsp brown sugar

– 1 tbsp garlic (minced)

– 1 tsp salt

– 1 tsp pepper

– 1 tsp garlic powder

– 1 tsp paprika

Steps:

Risotto: disclaimer – it’s totally fair to make box risotto here. My favorite brand is Alessi. However, to elevate this dish, making homemade risotto is easy, but a bit time-consuming. With that said, over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a pan and add in the tablespoon of fresh minced garlic and saute until fragrant. Next, add in the rice, constantly stirring until the rice starts to become slightly transparent. Then, add in ½ cup of veggie broth, stirring until the liquid is absorbed. Once absorbed, add 1 cup of broth while waiting until the previous liquid is incorporated fully. This should take anywhere from 20-25 minutes. Once the rice is tender and all of the broth has been added, season with salt and pepper as desired.

Squash: cut the butternut squash in half, remove seeds and fibrous material, and place both halves on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat flesh side up.In a small bowl, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Brush this mixture onto the squash and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for anywhere from 45-80 minutes. Once the squash is fork-tender, it’s done. 

Broccoli: steam or roast the broccoli however you prefer. I just think it’s nice to have a green vegetable like this on the side. 

Putting it all together: once everything is cooked, place each half of the squash on a plate and spoon the risotto into the seed cavity. Top with a sprinkle of flakey salt and parmesan. Throw some broccoli on the plate and call yourself a chef – tada.

Pasta with Red Onion, Butternut Squash, and Kale

Shocker, I found this recipe on Tiktok (@food52). The flavors in this pasta dish are unmatched. Caramelized red onion, sweet roasted squash, and fresh kale give this dish a filling quality while not weighing you down! Serves 3-4 people and makes excellent leftovers.

– 1 box shell/orecchiette pasta (gluten-free is fine)

– Half of 1 butternut squash

– Half of 1 red onion

– 2-3 cups veggie broth 

– 2 cups chopped fresh kale

– A splash of heavy cream 

– ⅓ cup white wine

– 2-3 tbsp olive oil

– 1 tsp onion powder

– 1 tsp cayenne pepper

– 2 tsp salt

– 2 tsp pepper

Steps: 

Squash: halve a butternut squash and chop one side into cubes. Place onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat and pour over 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil depending on your squash’s size. Next, season with onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Place in a 400-degree oven for 30-35 minutes. 

Onion and Pasta: cut half of a red onion into thin slices, place in a pan over low-medium heat with a splash of olive oil. Stir occasionally and cook the onion for 30 minutes or until tender, translucent, and the onion’s bitter flavor is gone. With the onion caramelized, add 1 box of pasta to boiling, salted water. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water. 

Putting it all together: while the pasta is in a strainer, use the same pasta pot to add about 2 cups of veggie broth, ⅓ cup white wine, kale, and caramelized onion over medium-low heat. Once the sauce has reduced slightly, reduce the heat to low and add in the pasta and squash. Mix together and add a splash or two of heavy cream. Add reserved pasta water as needed to thin the sauce. Top with freshly grated parmesan and enjoy this delightful dish!

Dairy-Free Pumpkin Soft Serve 

This sweet vegan treat combines all the yummy spices I love, especially during the fall. It’s creamy, flavorful, and (my favorite part) easy. I found this recipe on TikTok courtesy of @wholesomehedonista. The serving size is up to you. 

– 1 can coconut milk

– ⅓ cup maple syrup

– ½ cup pumpkin puree

– 2 tbsp salted cashew butter

– ½ tsp vanilla

– 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

– 1 14 oz. can coconut cream (optional) 

– ¼-¾ powdered sugar (optional)

Steps: 

Pumpkin mixture: add all ingredients to a blender and blend until well combined and smooth. Add the mixture into an ice cube tray and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours.

Putting it all together: Once frozen, add cubes back into the blender and use a blender tamper to make sure everything is incorporated. Top with coconut whip cream (made by whisking coconut cream and powdered sugar) and cinnamon as desired. 

MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.