woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

A Letter to My Support Systems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Attaining any kind of higher education degree requires more strength, patience and endurance than most of us students are prepared for prior to our freshman year of college.

Freshman year’s jitters, the anxiety, the “what if’s,” the desperate attempts at blending into a sea of people your age, unsure of how to navigate this new world you were thrown into — it can be frightening, to say the least. I remember feeling small, my mind swirling with worries of inadequacy as I swam in my new fast-paced world.

This has been a challenge I’m immensely, irrevocably fortunate to have been given. It’s easy in college to want to throw your hands in the air every so often, exasperated with doubt, considering why in the hell you’re pursuing a degree in the first place.

Many students joke about dropping out and how we “hate college” when the academics become all too overwhelming at times. Nonetheless, I know that among most of my peers, these statements are thinly veiled disguises of our love for the challenge and the incomprehensible craziness that a college experience can bring.

The lighthearted nature in a community of a bunch of 18 to 20-somethings, collectively indulging in erratic expenditures, constantly dabbling in brand new experiences together is something beautiful that I know I will never quite experience again after these four years.

Having the ability to acquire a higher education is an opportunity only a small fraction of the world is given, and I feel lucky every day to have had access to it. This isn’t to say that the experience can still be hard as hell.

Not only considering the academic mountains to climb when discussing this journey, but the personal turmoils some of us most conquer during our college career, the struggles with mental health and the losses some of us may experience.Amidst these moments of pain and the breakdowns of uncertainty, prevailing this chapter of life is made possible through the support of the people we surround ourselves with. I’ve been lucky to have a phenomenal support system that has brought me love and light in my darkest moments.

Like many students, I came into college not exactly sure of who I was — what made me me. What I stood for. Through developing relationships with beautiful, strong, inspiring, distinct individuals, I have been blessed to discover myself and what I am capable of. I can accomplish and handle more than I ever thought I could. 

To this, I want to say thank you to those who have been with me through this time.

To every single one of my wonderful friends, professors, classmates, colleagues and members of my community who have each shared a piece of themselves with me: You’ve helped shape me into the person I am today, and I am infinitely better because of it.

And always, I owe everything to my family.

To those who believed in me when I didn’t believe in me, who pushed me, remained blunt with me when I was screwing up, and shared so much joy and laughter with me: I promise to always be there for you as you have for me.

Thank you for sharing yourselves with me during this pivotal time in my life.

To all of the graduates or soon-to-be grads, congratulations!

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.