Life > Experiences

How to Make the Most of College with Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As college students return back to campus and get back in the hang of things, many still don’t have in-person classes. For some students, this is their first full year on campus and they may not be familiar or comfortable with getting around. So, how do you make the most of college when you don’t have to leave the comfort of your dorm room?

Get Out of Your Room

I know your room is comforting and has everything you need in there. Getting out of your dorm room forces you to get out of your comfort zone and explore new places. Try going to a new place anytime you want to do homework or study. It can be as close as your hall study lounge or the college library. Getting out of your room will allow you to see parts of the campus in-person classes would normally show you.

Utilize Social Media

Many people make a lot of friends through classes in person. If your classes are online, you can still make friends, just in a different way. Reach out to those in your class through DMs, talk to your neighbors, and utilize Facebook or Patio groups to meet new people. Everyone is feeling nervous and having a friend is a great way to combat that feeling.

Attend Social Events

Many colleges provide social events even after Welcome Week. Attending these events allows you to meet new people and discover a new part of campus. Not only that, but many events have free stuff!

Join Clubs

College is a huge place with a large student population. Finding people with similar interests may be hard at times. By joining clubs, you will find people with similar interests as you and develop a new network of friends. Many colleges have club fairs twice a year so if you don’t make it around the first time, don’t worry!

Say YES

The first couple weeks of meeting new people, say yes to plans. Even if you want to stay in bed and watch Netflix all night, ignore it. Saying yes will get you out of your room, and you’ll get to hang out with friends and do stuff you might’ve never done without them. If you don’t like it, you never have to go with them again, but you never know till you try.

College is a big transition and it’s hard enough without knowing anyone or where anything is. Following these tips has made me more comfortable with campus and has helped me meet more people. I hope you get to try them as well.

Alekha is a freshman studying Marketing with a minor in Writing. She is a writer for Her Campus MSU and a member of the Pi Gamma Nu fraternity. In her free time, she loves listening to One Direction, reading, and playing with her dog, Rocco!