Culture > News

How Marianne Williamson’s 2024 Presidential Campaign Caters to Young Voters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Marianne Williamson, Joe Biden’s first democratic challenger for the upcoming 2024 Presidential race, has just launched her campaign. Williamson is a best selling author, political activist, spiritual leader, and a grassroots organizer. While incumbents have a higher rate of being re-elected, nothing is guaranteed for President Biden. The 2020 presidential election between incumbent Donald Trump and Biden shows that single terms are possible, especially with the record breaking number of young people who have been showing up to vote. According to Gallup News, Biden faces a general approval rate of 42 percent, but is this enough to secure the presidential seat again in 2024? Is there a better candidate for this seat? How does Williamson plan to land the votes of the 18-24 year old demographic?

Although Williamson is Biden’s first democratic opponent, she is not new to the game. Williamson ran in 2020 for the democratic nomination against then-President Trump, but dropped out before the Iowa Caucuses. Williamson is now the only democrat challenging Biden for the 2024 race, and many of her policies may be beneficial for students. Biden won many votes with his student loan forgiveness plan, but students are uncertain as to when they will see these benefits, and are becoming frustrated with the administration. Williamson plans to keep up the fight to forgive student loans, and to revolutionize education even further with her “Whole Student Plan” that includes strong unions and fair pay for teachers, funding for educational equipment, and supporting curriculum that helps develop lifelong skills. Not only will Williamson fight to expand student loan forgiveness programs, but will fight to make college free for students who cannot afford it. “Forgiving all student debt will allow students to work in a career they love, launch a business, or buy a home,” Williamson says on her official website.

Williamson is also pro-working class. Many college students, including myself, work many jobs outside of school to help pay for education, yet still cannot make ends meet. Williamson supports raising the minimum wage and lifting up the working class to minimize the current economic hardships that millions of Americans face. According to Williamson, raising the federal minimum wage to $15/hour will boost the economy and pull millions of students and families out of debt. Williamson will also protect the middle class from heightened taxes by repealing the 2017 tax cuts delivered to large corporations and the wealthy by the Trump Administration. 

Additionally, Williamson is very passionate about fighting the climate change crisis and supports the Green New Deal. Many young voters are concerned about the rate of climate change and are looking for a candidate who is serious about taking action. “We must transition from a dirty economy to a clean economy. Period. Full stop,” Williamson states. Urgency is key in this upcoming election, and Williamson is certainly making it clear that she’s just as desperate for change as the average American. 

Student loan forgiveness, free/reduced tuition, climate change, and raising the minimum wage are huge issues for Gen Z voters. Williamson’s policies may capture college students’ attention in the upcoming election. Read more about her campaign on her official website,  https://marianne2024.com.

Charlotte Plotzke (She/Her/Hers) is double majoring in communication and music at Michigan State University, and is projected to graduate in the Spring of 2024. Plotzke serves as an assistant editor for Michigan State University's Her Campus chapter, where she assists in editing and publishing articles for the chapter. Plotzke won second place in the "News" category in the 2023 Her Campus Chapter Awards for her article covering a March For Our Lives rally against gun violence in Lansing, MI, which served to honor the victims of the MSU shooting on February 13th, 2023. On top of writing about activism, wellness, experiences, pop-culture, and current events, Plotzke enjoys going to concerts, cooking, singing, traveling, and watching bad reality TV.