Brandi Scarber, ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Brandi Scarber

Year: Senior

Major(s:) Journalism, and media and information

Hometown: Detroit, Michigan

What organizations have you been involved with at MSU and what have your roles been?

Since I have been at MSU, I have been involved with the National Association of Black Journalists, which I am now the secretary of, the Association for Women in Sports Media, the African American Student Mentoring Program and the Hope Movement.

What did you learn from those experiences?

So much — but, most of all, I think I have learned how important it is to lead by example. It didn’t dawn on me until I got to college, just how much of an influence I have on others, so, I try to make sure that I am a living example of the good things I like to tell others to be.

What are the most prominent pop culture crazes in your life? (I.e., artists, tv shows, movies, memes, etc)

This is a hard one, honestly, when it comes to pop culture, I am not your go to girl. I kind of live my life in my own little bubble, and I am never updated on the latest trends. But, I am really excited to see the new “Black Panther” movie, I know it’s going to be amazing.

Where do you draw inspiration from?

I draw inspiration from God and myself. I often reflect on my journey and think about all of the detours I could have taken, but, I am so thankful that I am able to follow along the path God set out for me. It’s unbelievable to me sometimes, but, I am grateful.

After graduation, what do you envision is next for you?

I have a goal set to graduate with a full-time job, hopefully producing for a sports network, news station, or something of the sort.

If you could trade places with anyone, who would it be?

I’d trade place with a baby or an infant. It’d be nice to not have to worry about adult things again and have everyone do everything for you.

What’s something most people don’t know about you?

I actually can sing, semi-well. I’d love to be in a choir some day. I enjoy classical music, it’s the only music that helps me focus. I also enjoy coloring, it’s one of my favorite things to do to clear my mind.

Do you have any advice you’d give to underclassmen?

I’d tell any underclassman, if there is something you’d like to accomplish, make sure you’re doing everything in your power to see it manifest. If there’s an org. you want to join, do it, if there’s a class you want to take, do it, if there’s a job you want to apply for, do it, if there’s someone you want to meet, do it. College is a huge place, full of opportunities, and probably going to be the last time that you have this many resources tailored to you and readily available. Use them. Do what it takes to become the best version of yourself. And make sure you’re taking care of yourself.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.