5 Ways to Kickstart Your Social Justice Activism Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

You have the fiery passion and desire for a more equitable world — and there is seemingly so much work to be done to create a unified, equally balanced world. It can feel as if the power of just one individual is minuscule and ineffective. 

Your power as an individual is enormous when pursuing the changes you wish to see, although it’s possible you may need an extra push to help immerse yourself into the world of social justice activism. Allow advice from social justice experts on how to take a stand for social justice and how to personify a groundbreaking activist that you admire to empower you.

1. Figure out how social justice truly is defined by experts and how you define it

Valerie Chepp, Assistant Professor of Hamline University’s Sociology Department  and Director of the Social Justice Program describes social justice as “the absence of institutionalized oppression,” when “we have a system or society in which oppression is built into our institutions, and results in a socially unjust society.” 

Associate Professor of peace and justice studies Catia Confortini of Wellesley College has a more abstract view of social justice. “Social justice encompasses a lot of aspects of living in society. It essentially is a society that fosters space or place or community where social justice is present—a place where all communities can flourish, and where human wellbeing is the highest value.”

Recognizing the constant need for development in absolving social injustices is among another strong principle of social justice. Professor Confortini, whose activism was ignited by the teachings of “the paternalism of the Catholic church and its involvement with colonialism” from her catholic schooling that she found “contradictory,” furthers this sentiment.

“Social justice is not a state, but something that needs to be constantly worked on. It’s more of an action. It’s about working for it, rather than the achievement of something ideal and fixed,” Confortini says. 

2. Prepare for potential stigmatizing and backlash

Despite your genuine intentions to combat injustices in the world, there will be people left uncomfortable by your actions because they can disturb the everyday lives of the privileged in our society. People you know and care about may minimize and patronize your efforts.

“I think people believe that fighting for social justice is an idealist view,” Wellesley’s Confortini says. “Social justice is deemed as a wimpy thing to do, as the feminist thing to do— idealistic opposed to realistic.”

To advance your success, remind yourself why you’re pushing through the backlash and of what your ultimate goal is. Use your voice to its full capacity for those who don’t have the platform to do so. 

“If you look at communities of color, marginalized communities, their very existence and life in the world is a life for social justice,” Confortini continues. “Their life is a constant struggle to achieve recognition as full human beings. That stigma isn’t prevalent in communities of color or LGBTQ.”

Prepare for discontent from others from your efforts in combating injustice, as most controversial, norm-defying activists in the world’s history have persevered.

Hamline’s Chepp says, “‘Social justice warrior’ has a negative connotation to it sometimes. I think that’s an interesting idea—what is so off-putting about somebody who works for a more equitable society?”

Chepp says there are “ a lot of other instances where people who work for progressive politics or different types of justice get demonized.”

“We find that with feminists and ‘feminazis.’ There are all these bad connotations and ways to undermine a movement by portraying people who work for that movement in a negative light.”

High class celebrity activists, such as Black Lives Matter and feminism advocate Beyonce, have shown to also be just as susceptible to public scrutiny for their activism. The star has time and time again used her enormous platform to bring attention to injustices. Sometimes, she’s done so in a way as simple as confidently standing on a towering stage with the bolded word “FEMINISM” beaming in the backdrop behind her at the MTV VMAs, bringing attention to gender equality to a tuned in crowd of millions. Nonetheless, she faced harsh judgment and backlash on social media as a result, despite her high class, celebrity status.  

But Jill Goddard, public relations director of the Unitarian Universalist Association, says she’s unsure whether the existence of a stigma holds any significance.  

“I don’t think you should or should not do something because there’s a social stigma to it,” Goddard says. “People need to figure out what makes sense for them and what helps them to live authentically. If it’s to be an advocate or an activist or an organizer, then they should do that.”

Stigma or no stigma, an authentic activist will almost always pursue their goals by following their moral compass. 

3. Recognize your privilege and contributions to injustices.

It can be uncomfortable facing head-on the privilege that some of us have. Privilege isn’t something you can simply ask for and receive, but privilege is given randomly at birth for some, depending on skin color, gender, race, sexual orientation and so on. In our society, certain people have privilege because of factors that they possess zero control over.

“If you come from a place of privilege, learn about your privilege, learn all of the ways in which you benefit in this society for doing nothing more than have been born into a privileged group,” Chepp suggests. “Whether it’s being white, being cisgendered, being a male, or being straight or able-bodied.”

In addition to recognizing your elevated status in society if you attain privilege, listening to communities of color is essential to understanding and advocating social justice. 

Confortini says it is essential “to introspectively look at ourselves and to look at our own participation in the system of oppression.” In order to accomplish this, a self-evaluation is a must. How may you be subconsciously contributing to systemic oppression? Are you intertwined in the very injustices you oppose without being aware of it? The possibility exists.

Tough interactions might ensue from acknowledging your inherent privileges. Once your awakening begins and you become aware of your privilege, relatives and friends may not understand this concept. “Maybe [start] having difficult conversations, particularly with people that have different viewpoints than you do,” Goddard says.

Chepp echoes the same push for intiating challenging discussions. “That’s a challenging moment. We need to have some tough conversations with people who maybe politically aren’t on the same spectrum as we are.”

Professor Chepp recalls her gender and athleticism as a young woman was “always something to be commented on, and something to be talked about.” She remembers that “boys would get teased” if she beat them. 

“I remember this being significant in raising my consciousness around gender and gender inequality,” Chepp says.

Gender stereotyping, like the kind that Professor Chepp experienced in her childhood, serves as an example for the very experiences of injustice that drives activists into their activism career. Consider what insensitive or provoking dialogue or actions you may be implementing that can be harmful to others.

Intentional or not, we can be silent contributors to injustices when we don’t use our voices and privilege to advocate for the most vulnerable.

4. Start local and find what organizations and movements exist within your community.

There are seemingly endless numbers of social justice causes to dedicate your work to, which can make feel configuring which channels for activism to pursue overwhelming at first. Starting within your community can result with a closely personal and rewarding contribution to social justice.

“Look where you are to do what you can. It sometimes feels like there’s so much work to be done on so many fronts on many issues. Start local. Look at your community, look at where you are; where you can get involved on your campus or your hometown,” says Goddard of the Unitarian Universalist Association says.

According to Professor Confortini, ”with a simple Google search, you can find what’s happening outside that comfort zone,” with “tons of organizations in places that you don’t normally hang around.” 

Key phrase: “that you don’t normally hang around.” There is far more potential to engage in enriching experiences and activism if you remove yourself from your personal bubble.

When you decide on an organization or cause, consider your own skill set. Don’t join for the ego boost or false sense of achieved activism. What skills do you have to offer to help create the change you want?

“Start there. See where people are already doing this. Maybe you have talents you can bring to make it better, to make it more efficient, or more organized,” Goddard says. “You don’t have to jump into it thinking you’re going to change the world, but jump into it thinking that you’re gonna change your corner of the world.”

Michigan State University animal behavior and neurology major Cahlia Lanier attended an anti-hate, anti-bigotry, anti-racism and anti-sexism protest in her community to make her mark in combating social injustices. 

“There was such a [large] sea of people that you couldn’t even see the end of it. I had just gotten out of work, teaching Zumba at IM circle and had literally walked into this swarm of people marching,” Lanier remembers. “It was so beautiful. There were fists raised, chanting, signs, flags from so many different countries, along with multiple pride flags being flown.”

The MSU senior used her voice to stand her ground against injustices in her local community. By starting local like this student, your impact can be more resonating than one may expect.

“Just the diversity and togetherness was incredible. I think it was exactly what all of us needed after such a horrendous election season. It was a reminder that we weren’t alone as the minorities of campus felt.”

5. Realize the potential power in an ordinary person

Visualize idolized activists and civil rights leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr. in your mind. We normally don’t view these prominent figures as everyday Joes. We can elevate their status to untouchable, God-like figures. As a result, it be seem almost impossible to imagine ourselves paralleling such powerful figures. Change often accelerates from the bottom up and can gain momentum from one person at a time. When people come together and use their power as individuals, powerful movements can ignite their fire.

“When you have the ability to raise your voice with others to make a statement and some type of change, especially when it directs effects you and those like you, you should,” Lanier says.

“It’s important that the idea of being an activist, or someone who fights for a more equitable world, doesn’t have to be this prominent figure like Martin Luther King or Cesar Chavez— these larger-than-life figures,” Chepp says. “We can all be that. We can all do this work. It’s not reserved for some elite group.”

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.