This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We’ve all been in quarantine for a few weeks now and it seems like we’re all going to be for a little while. Being stuck at home was fun for about a week, but cabin fever has officially set in, and I’m bored out of my mind as I’m sure a lot of you are too. You can only binge watch Netflix shows and movies for so long before you start to lose your mind. I’m sure it may feel like there isn’t much to do at home, but there are a lot of different ways you can occupy your time during this period. Here are some different things you can do to stay productive during quarantine.

Clean Your Room

Now that you have what seems like all the time in the world, this is the perfect time to clean your room. I didn’t actually do this myself until about week three, but when I finally did get around to cleaning my room I felt a lot better. I’ve been spending most of the quarantine in my room, so it helped a lot to clean up my personal space. I even moved around some furniture and did some redecorating that I never got around to.

Cook & Bake With Your Family

This is also a great time to try out some new recipes, and find new favorite foods. My mom, sister, and I try to make something new at least two times a week, and it’s been a lot of fun trying new foods together. It’s also a great way to spend time with your loved ones at home. I saw a TikTok the other day where a family put on different themed dinners every night such as hibachi and hooters. They even dressed the part to make it more fun.

Clean out your closet

From the outside, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell, but my closet is a complete mess. Every time I open it things are falling out because I’m usually in a rush when I’m getting ready and never bother to put things back properly. It seriously looks like a bomb went off in there, since there are piles of clothes on the floor and things hanging off their hangers. Last week I decided to reorganize all my clothes, shoes, bags, and coats, and then filled up a box with old clothes I no longer wear to donate. Like I said before, taking care of your personal space can make staying at home and in your room a lot easier. Reorganizing and cleaning out your closet will also make room for all the cute new summer clothes you’re going to buy.

Hang With Friends via Zoom, Skype or FT

Probably the hardest part of all this is not being able to see or hangout with friends, family, and your significant others. I know I miss my friends and boyfriend like crazy right now, but there are a lot of different ways for you all to stay connected. It’s definitely not the same as hanging out in person, but I’m sure if you get creative you can make things a lot more interesting. My friend group and I have a weekly group Facetime or Zoom call every week where we catch up and play different games. Over Zoom we’ve had dinner together, drank together, and even played some card games. House Party is also another great app you and your friends can utilize to stay connected and have fun.

Watch a Virtual Concert or Rave

One of the biggest things my friends and I miss doing since we’ve gone into quarantine is going to concerts, festivals, and raves. The week New York went into lockdown and closed all their music and entertainment venues, my friends and I had two shows planned for that weekend that were now being postponed due to the virus. If you know me then you know I go to shows at least twice a month, so not having those to look forward to has been really rough. Luckily, a lot of different artists, bands, and DJs, have been hosting daily or weekly performance livestreams. It’s definitely not the same as being at an actual show, but it’s still nice to see your favorite artists perform and hear new music from them.

Exercise

Coronavirus has sadly put working on our summer bodies on hold for the time being. I’m sure a lot of us have spent the majority of our time at home in bed, instead of being active. However, there isn’t a better time for us all to get in shape. I know this may seem really difficult considering all gyms are closed, and most of us don’t have our own workout equipment at home, but if you do some research there are a lot of different ways to remain fit at home. The weather is getting warmer, which means it’s a great time to go out for a run. I’m sure the fresh air will also do us all some good. To do some cardio you can go on YouTube and search “easy workouts to do from home”. A lot of gyms, as well as instructors, are providing free online workout videos and live streams to help people as well. Exercising is the perfect way to help with cabin fever and with the blues, you may be feeling right now. Get those endorphins moving!

Start Painting & Crafting

One of my favorite things to do right now is to listen to some music, drink some wine, and paint. Not only is it a lot of fun, but it’s also really therapeutic. Although most craft stores are closed, some stores like Michaels, are currently doing pick up orders. That way you can order whatever you need online, and then pick it up at the door to go.

Get Creative

Now that we have a lot of time on our hands, it’s the perfect time to get creative. Start or continue working on projects that you’ve been talking about for so long. Whether it’s journaling, writing, starting a podcast, blogging, making music, or learning something new. I’m always starting new projects, and like a typical Gemini I always get super distracted and never end up finishing them. So this is the perfect time to continue working on them! Get your creative juices flowing and start something new, or put all your effort into something that means a lot to you.

Practice Make-up Looks

I’m sure all of us have had that random moment in the middle of the day or night  where we decide to  beat our face for no reason at all. When you’re bored try out and practice some new makeup looks, that way when we finally are allowed to leave our houses again you’ll look amazing. Before we went into quarantine I had just ordered a new glow in the dark make-up palette. It finally came this week, and I can’t wait to try out so many new looks for festival season (which I’m praying we still have) in August. 

Go Out for a Walk or Sit OutsideGo Out for a Walk or Sit Outside

The weather is finally getting nicer, so it makes staying at home so much more difficult. Although we should be spending the majority of our time indoors, it doesn’t hurt to go out for a walk once a day. Take a walk with your family around the neighborhood to get some steps in, as well as some fresh air. You can also sit outside on your front lawn or in your backyard, and read a book or do some homework in order to get a change of scenery.

Meagan Morillo

Montclair '20

Meagan Morillo is a senior at Montclair State majoring in english with a double minor in film and journalism. When she isn't writing, you can find Meagan making spotify playlists or at a concert or music festival.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.