This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I always feel better when I have some makeup on. My everyday look doesn’t consist of many products but I always feel the need to wear something. Even when I’m running errands on a Sunday, I at least need to wear some mascara. I decided to challenge myself to adopt the “I woke up like this” attitude for a day and wear no makeup.

I attribute my confidence mostly to my skin being on its best behavior and having a good night’s sleep. I have been very lucky that my skin has been responding well to my most recent routine, even though I’ve been seriously stressed and I will admit my diet hasn’t been amazing. Going a day without makeup would have been way more challenging if I was having a breakout so I have an immense gratitude towards the current state of my skin. 

While I was feeling happy about my skin, I still had to try to keep my insecure thoughts in check. Let me tell you, going a day with no mascara really had me considering dropping some coinage on a set of eyelash extensions. My eyelashes are so light in comparison to the rest of my hair and they have no natural volume to them. Even though I looked more well-rested than usual on this day, I still felt like I looked tired because I didn’t have a coat of mascara to make my eyes pop. 

I would forget I wasn’t wearing makeup until I had to face the harsh fluorescent lighting of bathroom mirrors. Making the change to wear no products on my face didn’t feel too strange because I don’t usually wear a full face of makeup. However, I would get a harsh reminder every time I would go to the bathroom and see my face totally washed out from the super artificial lighting in there. I know that fluorescent lighting isn’t really anyone’s friend, but considering the fact that I was only seeing myself in these conditions, I was feeling really tempted to throw a little blush on. 

Overall, I would do this again. I saved a decent amount of time in the morning and this was a pretty positive experience. I always felt a little envious of the people who could just get up, go out and still manage to look so good with no makeup. This experience made me realize that I can do that too. The only person who was telling me that I should wear makeup each day was myself. Anyone can free their skin, you just need to get over the boundaries you create for yourself. 

Photo Sources: 1

Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.