10 Lessons Sex and the City Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The best source of advice for women can be found in the lives and the characters of Miranda, Charlotte, Carrie and Samantha from Sex and the City. Here are some of the dozens of lessons the show’s 6 seasons and 2 full length movies taught us about fashion, friendship, and the power of love.

1.       Know your deal breakers, and stick to them

While the women deviated from their originally idea of a man, they never allowed themselves to stick with one that was too far off from their expectations for very long – no matter what the reason. Stick to your deal breakers, they’re instilled in your head for a reason.

2.       Have fun with your fashion

Carrie Bradshaw was, and will continue to be a fashion icon and inspiration for dozens of women. She taught us that it’s okay to mix and match our fashion, or labels, and even buy a no-name wedding dress from a thrift store. Explore and enjoy your fashion options.

3.       Invest in a good pair of shoes – just not all of it

The Manalo Blahnik will forever be ingrained as the symbolic shoe of Sex and the City. But while it’s okay to invest several paychecks in a designer pair of shoes that may last a lifetime, don’t spend all of your money – especially money you need for rent! – On something you can’t live in.

4.       Embrace your singleness (if and when it applies):

To quote Carrie :  “The most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself,” she said. “And if you find someone to love the you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”

5.       Never ever break up with someone via a post it note – or allow yourself to be broken up by one either

Break ups are messy, and while there’s no cut and dry way to do it, there is certainly one way not to do it. Don’t take a post-it sentence as a break up. If he’s not man enough to say it to your face, be woman enough to end it yourself.

6.       There is no race for marriage – or babies – or a settle-down commitment

For seasons and seasons, we watched the girls go through relationships, engagements, and even a marriage or two. There was never a rush for any of them to marry and produce babies – and Carrie and Samantha were the last of them – and there should never be for you. There’s no timer that says you’re no longer eligible for the marriage path, so don’t rush into something you’re not 100% in love with and committed to.

7.       In order to forgive, you must first forget

It took everything in Carrie’s power to forgive Big for leaving her stranded on their wedding day, but in the end, forgiving and forgetting gave them the marriage and the happiness we were all secretly hoping for. Forgive the mistakes that are forgivable and forget the hiccups when you can. There are some bumps in life that need to happen, and that can happen, and still lead to your happy ending.

8.       Refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies

Find a man that can give you butterflies years later. He’s the one worth holding onto.

9.       Never live for the sole purpose of serving or finding men

Never forget the relationship you have with yourself – it’s the most important one. Carrie, Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte were all strong, independent women that were definable all in their own right, and never needed a man to do that for them. Be strong on your own, and find a man to compliment you – not complete you.

10.   Never forget the value of your girl friends

The best advice this show gave us was the value of a strong female friendship. Through the boyfriends, the breakups, the fights, and the laughs, these 4 women stuck through everything. They go to prove that there is nothing in life that a good friend – and maybe a Cosmo – cannot fix. 

Photo Credit: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8