This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

It doesn’t matter how you look at it, life is a giant roller coaster. A roller coaster, what is it? A ride that brings you up and down on a path. You know what’s crazy but true, your heart is similar to an amusement park ride. The heartbeat goes up and down, keeping you alive. As humans we are constantly waiting for something to happen, something new and exciting. We wait in line for this imaginary roller coaster. You could be waiting seconds, days, months, or years. Our expectations are high, expecting to enjoy the ride. We get on with a group of people waiting to take off. The anxiety of not knowing when it will begin kills. Anxiety leads to stress and fear. Fear holds some people back from going on the journey. Then we are going up the hill, all the steps we need to take to accomplish our goals. At the top, our hopes and dreams. When you finally reach the top, how long does it last for? Nobody’s perfect, eventually everyone falls down. So then we begin to go down, slowly at first. Then bam, we fly down the hill as fast as possible. Sometimes you crash, sometimes you stop, and sometimes you rise back up. There’s many different paths. There are so many ups and downs, bumps along the ride. At the end of the “ride”, some people will get off while others will get on. Just like life. People are constantly walking in and out of our lives. We constantly claim that we wish that our lives were perfect. Just like in books or movies. That is why they are a work of fiction. We wish to be happy, to have no grief in our life. When things get tough, nobody wants to work through their problems. We all wish to skip to the end, the “happily ever after”. Yet, without those obstacles to overcome, we would have nothing to rise above from. Now what is the fun in that? We need the ups and downs to keep us alive, because without it life would be boring. It’s like living without a heartbeat, you are never truly living at all.

Jessica Smith

Monmouth '21

Hi! My name is Jessica Smith. I am a senior at Monmouth University. My major is English & Elementary Education!