College Halloween Costumes and the Stigma Behind Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

We have all seen the yearly “halloweekend” Instagram posts by now. Usually a college girl in her costume with her friends standing in front of a random dorm hallway wall, each one dressed either the same as the one to her right or as the devil to her bestie’s angel. The comments always read something emulating “OMG so cute!” or “you guys are hot” followed by some emojis. However, we can all, me included, admit that some negativity and hatred stem from these photos.

Sometimes when we scroll through the endless feed of Halloween pictures, we can get caught up in the vanity of the holiday. As we get older, Halloween becomes more of a contest of who can be the sexiest mummy or who can incorporate lingerie into their costume without it looking strange. Cady Heron of Mean Girls said it the best: “Halloween is the one time a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no one else can say anything about it.” However, it’s easy to get jealous of the girls who can pull off those sexy and revealing costumes and instead of admitting that, we turn on them and call them slutty.

Why are we turning on each other in such a harsh way? The term “slut” is an intense insult in itself, but why would we use it against someone for dressing up for Halloween? I admit, I wish I could pull off just a bra and booty shorts while wearing a halo, calling myself an angel, but I know I don’t have the confidence to do that. And it’s so easy to see someone who can and judge them instead of empowering them. They had the confidence to dress up and post a picture of themselves having fun.

Now we are allowed to have opinions, of course. While I wish I had the option of wearing that previously mentioned bra and booty shorts doesn’t mean that would be my choice of costume. But we can disagree with each other and be respectful. It doesn’t have to come to calling each other sluts. Embracing each other and celebrating the confidence will create so much more positivity among us women. Taking away that confidence to make ourselves feel better isn’t okay. So next year, let’s try to keep an open mind when it comes to costumes. Remember to be safe, where a mask, and empower each other.

Elementary Education Major at Monmouth University 18 she/her