This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Music is an extremely common way we express ourselves. I’ve often heard that we decorate time with music. Music can change our moods within the three minutes we listen to it. So, if you are looking for a way to express yourself, to decorate your time, or to just make your life more musical, here are 5 ways you can do that.

1. Monthly Playlists

Last year, I started making monthly playlists in April. I would add songs that I was interested in that month and often times I would only listen to that month’s playlist.

At the end of the year, I noticed that each month’s playlist reflected how I was feeling around that time of the year. I have always had a deep attachment to music, so I thought it was really meaningful to capture a year of my life in music. While I thought there would be tremendous overlap in those playlists from month to month, that wasn’t the case. Sure, some months had some of the same songs, but I felt I would be robbing myself of true self-reflection if I didn’t add those repeating songs to each playlist.

2. Playlists for your Mood

Creating playlists for specific moods can be rather therapeutic for people who deal with intense emotions often. For example, an anger playlist can help channel anger in a healthier way than taking it out on others or yourself. A happy playlist can keep a good mood going for your whole day. When we are feeling emotions, positive or negative, we need to recognize what we feel, and music can help us do that in a healthy way.

3. Favorites

Most music streaming apps and websites allow you to “like” your favorite songs and then compile them into a playlist together. If I’m not in the mood to listen to a specific genre or if I’m just looking to vibe out, I listen to my favorites. Personally, my favorites playlist has a large range of genres, so it fits when I’m not in any particular mood. Favorite songs also make us happier when we listen to them because, obviously, they’re our favorites for a reason.

4. Nostalgia Playlists

I very recently created a nostalgia playlist: songs popular from when I was growing up. These don’t go back to childish songs, but (and I’m not ashamed to admit) do include songs from High School Musical, Hannah Montana, and Lemonade Mouth, as well as other hits from various Disney Channel Original Movies and Television Programs. These songs really make me feel nostalgic of my childhood, when times were simpler. This playlist definitely will make you happy, maybe a little sad, but most of all, it will make you realize how great the music was back in the early 2000s.

5. Homework Playlist

I understand the choice to listen to our favorite songs while doing homework is tempting, but it doesn’t always produce the most productive results. Classical music is proven to help us focus while doing work. Incorporating music into our study time can make us more productive but also will associate a happy feeling with doing our work, motivating us to do work we normally would resist.

And there you have it: 5 ways to make your life more musical. And remember, music is about you: how you feel, what you like, how you want to listen, what you want to listen to. If you’re looking to explore different types of music, go for it. There is no harm in listening to new artists and figuring out what kind of music speaks to you. Find your perfect playlist.

Elementary Education Major at Monmouth University 18 she/her