5 Binge Worthy Shows for Spooky Season

Let’s face it. 

As college students, the majority of our pumpkin patches, apple orchards, and hayride experiences this fall will be lived vicariously through pictures we see on Pinterest. Our thumbs will be vigorously scrolling through an endless board of fall aesthetics when we’re supposed to be preparing for midterms. 

As much as we would like to be carving pumpkins outside with our family, falling in love amongst the fallen leaves, and ghost hunting around town with our friends, reality can’t help but smack us in the face and remind us to study for our upcoming exams. 

So to compensate, I created a list of the top 5 shows that will help you get into the spooky fall spirit without taking up too much time on your busy schedule.

1. Scream (3 seasons)

I’m sure we’ve all heard of the widely popular, four movie franchise, Scream. But not enough have heard of or watched MTV’s show adaptation. Seasons one and two follow the life of high schooler Emma Duval and her group of friends. Their lives are thrown into a world of terror, mystery, and unforeseen chaos as one of the most popular girls in school gets murdered. The domino effect takes place as one murder starts a chain reaction of many more. The infamous masked killer taunts Duval and her friends while trying to eliminate them all. Who survives? Who’s the killer? Watch and find out!

1. Supernatural (15 seasons)

Who doesn’t love a good show about a brotherly bond? Especially two, extremely good looking ones who happen to hunt monsters, demons, and everything that’s, well, supernatural. As season 15 wraps up this year, Supernatural has been a CW hit for over a decade, and there’s a reason why. The show follows the thrilling journey of two brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester, who were raised by their father to track down demonic creatures after the death of their mother. Yes, she was killed by a demon. No, this isn’t a spoiler. It happens in the first episode. Don’t believe me? See for yourself!

1. The Society (1 season)

We’d be lying if we said we haven’t wished for all the adults in the world to vanish so that we, as kids, could have all the freedom. But as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. In the Netflix original, fast-paced mystery series, The Society, this concept is brought to life and the consequences that follow. A handful of high school students from Connecticut leave for a camping trip but are met with a storm that forces them to head back. When they return, the adults are nowhere to be found. It’s all fun and games until suddenly it’s not. Alongside trying to bring the adults back, the students are forced to create an order to combat the dangers of their situation. Would you be able to survive?

1. You (1 season)

This Netflix original show is what I like to call “puppy love gone wrong”. What starts as a simple crush that bookstore manager Joe Goldberg establishes for aspiring writer Guinevere Beck quickly turns into an obsession. An obsession that leads Goldberg to stalk Beck on social media and in person. His actions, though seemingly harmless, rapidly turn sinister as Goldberg begins to do everything he can to be with her, even going as far as removing anything—or anyone—that could possibly stop him. Ever wondered what it’s like to have a stalker? Watch it through the eyes of one.

1. How to Get Away With Murder (6 seasons)

Last, but certainly not least, ABC’s hit TV show How to Get Away With Murder should never be overlooked during the season of all things spooky. Renowned actress, Viola Davis, stars as Annalise Keating, a defense law professor teaching a class called How to Get Away With Murder. Keating is also a criminal defense lawyer who chooses a small group of her top students to assist her with cases at the law firm. The chosen students had a feeling Keating’s class would be helpful in order to solve cases, but never would have thought that they would be the ones following the “how to” guide. Let’s hope you never have to!