This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

As a dance major, I’m on a constant hunt for new forms of exercise. From hot yoga, rowing, cycling, running, and boxing, I have tried almost everything. Unfortunately, none of these have stuck with me. Luckily, I have found one that I absolutely love. Today I am here to tell you about my new obsession- pilates!

Pilates is usually an hour long fitness class that can be done on either a yoga mat, a cadillac, or a reformer machine. Classes consist of a series of body exercises and breathing, each one progressing in difficulty as the class goes on. It is designed to strengthen your core muscles in order to gain stability in other parts of your body. The movements are designed to engage and lengthen the muscles, which is perfect for the strength I need as a dancer.

I began my Pilates journey when one of my dance teachers recommended I start cross training with additional fitness classes. I told my teacher that I wasn’t a fan of yoga because the poses were to slow, and I didn’t feel tired at the end. I was afraid to do too much cycling and boxing in fear of bulking muscle instead of lengthening. My teacher said that I should try Pilates. She said it was a good mix between cardio and the breathing, meditative quality of yoga.

After some research, I discovered Pilates on the Square. This small studio in Union Square offers new clients classes for $18. Each class is one hour long with 30 minutes on a reformer and 30 minutes of the cadillac. They provide classes every hour, seven days week, which is great for my busy schedule.

Originally I was afraid that pilates was going to put me too far out of my comfort zone. I didn’t want to feel like I was the odd-man-out, but Pilates on Square was very welcoming. The instructors really focus on how every exercise affects each individual. I never feel like I am falling behind or too far ahead. Not only that but at the end of the hour, I am sweating. My legs, arms, and abs are burning! I encourage everyone to try at least one class because you will definitely feel the difference.

Senior at Marymount Manhattan Living her dreams in New York City Loves writing, dancing, and exploring