5 Reasons Why You Need to Take a Trip to Westchester County This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Fall is in full swing, and with that comes beautiful foliage, apple and pumpkin everything, and cool, crisp air. Manhattan is beautiful at this time of year, and a stroll through Central Park is a great way to celebrate the season, but just north of the city lies a magical autumnal oasis! As a Westchester native, I have grown up on picturesque fall days, chalked full of seasonal activities. Here’s why you should take a day trip out of the city:

1. Foliage

There is nothing I love more than driving down a windy Westchester road through all of the leaves. The Bronx River Parkway from White Plains up North transforms into a beautiful tapestry at this time of year. Without a car? The Metro-North ride up from the city will offer equally as fabulous views. Take a Hudson line train for some added river views. The Bronx River also has a walking path that is gorgeous at this time of year with foliage and waterfalls. The perfect sight for an afternoon stroll. If you want to take it to the extreme, go for a hike. Here is a guide to the best trails in Westchester.

2. Rivertowns

One of my favorite parts of Westchester culture is the Rivertowns. Think Stars Hollow, Connecticut vibes, but more hilly. Each town has some sort of Main Street, and are home to countless boutiques and local businesses. If you are looking for something a little homey, look no further. Visit Hastings-on-Hudson or Tarrytown for ample shopping/eating experiences. 

3. Halloween

If there’s one thing Westchester does well, it’s Halloween. When you live in the land of  Sleepy Hollow (yes, THE Sleepy Hollow), it’s practically a given. Each year, the town hosts its own re-enactment of Ichabod Crane’s classic tale. The Headless Horseman also may make an appearance on the Haunted Hayride if you keep your eyes peeled! If all this isn’t quite your speed, they offer a dramatic reading of the story as well. You have to go at least once. There’s also The Great Pumpkin Blaze, in Croton, where the most beautiful pumpkin art is put on display. It’s quite literally art, with moving sculptures and illuminated archways. Every year is different, and it’s a classic Westchester favorite. All these events also have Halloween boutiques and are stocked full of apple cider donuts and hot chocolate. What more do you need?

4. Apple Picking and Pumpkin Patches

This classic fall staple just isn’t available in the city. Northern Westchester is home to countless orchards to satisfy your basic girl needs. Harvest Moon Farm and Orchard and Outhouse Orchard (it’s better than the name- I promise!) are the two favorites in this county. Don’t leave without some apple cider donuts! 

5. Stew Leonard’s

I couldn’t write a fall in Westchester article without plugging my favorite,Stew Leonard’s. Stew Leonard’s is often described as the “Disneyland of grocery stores” and is a glorious place at any time of year, but fall is the best.  They are home to the world’s best apple cider donuts (are you sensing a theme here?), countless fall themed baked goods, autumnal dinner classics like turkey pot pie and even delicious, cold apple cider. There is also a pretty big pumpkin display in the front. It’s a more high scale spread than the typical grocery store, but you don’t have to deal with the mud of the pumpkin patch. Stew’s also has the greatest soft serve ice cream in the whole world, and they have a pumpkin flavor for the fall. I haven’t tried it yet, but this place has never gone wrong. With an array of premade, fresh foods that can be heated up in the oven or microwave, this store is heaven for a college student. The one downside is that it is a bit pricey, but as a major foodie, it’s money well spent in my book.

You can get to Westchester County very easily. Just hop on the Metro North at Grand Central- trains stop at pretty much every town in the county. I guarantee that the fresh, crisp air and homey atmosphere will make your fall that much more festive!

Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com