This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

We are coming up to the end of January and I hope all of your New Year’s resolutions are going well. If getting in the gym and growing your booty was on your resolution list, then I have some tips for you. There are plenty of common misconceptions when it comes to how to make your glutes bigger. Glutes are not only made in the gym, but in the kitchen as well. Here are some tips that you might not have necessarily been aware of to help you along your journey. 

#1 Lift heavy   

Lifting weights is a well known way to help grow your glutes. To achieve the results that you are looking for, it is important to carefully pick what exercises you’re doing and what weight you’re lifting. Low weight with high repetitions is more commonly used for creating muscle endurance, not strength. When lifting heavy weight with low repetitions your body builds and maintains muscle easier. This method is how you should lift to grow your glutes. According to personal trainer Tamara Pridgett, squats alone will not grow your glutes. Squats mainly target your quadriceps, so it is important to also do exercises that target your glutes. Exercises that target your glutes include glute bridges, romanian deadlifts, and donkey kicks. Try incorporating these types of exercises into your routine to see some growth in your glutes.  

#2 EAT!              

Diet is one of the most important factors for gaining muscle, especially in your rear. To grow any muscle your diet should consist of a good amount of protein. Carbohydrates and healthy fats play a key role in providing energy for your cells and enhancing your recovery progress. Pairing a healthy and protein-dense diet with a regular workout routine is key in seeing progress. According to registered dietitian Rachael Link, eating “glute-growing” foods is important to help maximize your results. Some of her recommended foods include salmon, eggs, brown rice, avocados, milk, tofu, chicken breasts, and quinoa. Regularly working some of these foods into your diet will help you be effective in growing those glutes. 

#3 Stay consistent 

Every tip that I listed above will make no difference if you are not being consistent. Training is an ongoing progress and it takes time to see results. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see results as soon as you’d like. You need to give your body time to adjust to your new lifestyle and build that muscle on. Staying consistent in the kitchen will fuel your body and help you in the gym. Don’t forget to switch it up in the gym. If you are doing the same exercises every week, you body might plateau, and that can be really frustrating. To prevent this, switch up what you do and keep your body guessing, and you will be seeing gains soon enough.

Sophomore at University of Missouri Nursing Major