This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Just like the term “bitch,” the term “whore” is a word that is becoming normalized in contemporary culture as a sarcastic nickname for friends. Ever get a text that says, “Good morning, whores”? Ever referred to yourself as a whore for a certain activity or object, such as a “whore for pasta”? This is all in good fun, as we are rebranding its meaning. To our parents and elders, however, “whore” still equates to sleeping around and acting provocatively. All I have to say to that is: OK, Boomers.

Let me educate you real quick.

I think it’s important to emphasize the arbitrariness of language in these circumstances. In other words, words are dumb. We are the ones who have the power to give a word a certain meaning. The only reason why the term “whore” still holds a negative connotation is because of the long-standing definitions that the patriarchy instilled upon us for generations. I know what you’re thinking. Go back to being depressed, English major. “Whore” is derogatory and belittles women.

While in some cases this word is used to hurt others and judge their actions, today’s society propels the very concept of a new and empowered woman forward through making fun of this five-letter term. I love the fact that modern women are redefining the meaning of the word “whore” to criticize the male force that has plagued our mentalities and constructed our appearances since the beginning of time. 

By speaking the word so casually, it’s like we are disparaging the word itself and the history behind it. And by destroying its intended meaning, even creating words such as “man-whore”, we erase its stigma.

Janelle Hart

Miami (OH) '21

Janelle is an English - Creative Writing and Media and Culture double major at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Prior to college, she attended a small high school in her hometown of Freehold, NJ. She loves to write about today's culture and aspires to write future films.
Mallory Hackett

Miami (OH) '20