10 Easy Ways to Make Miami Dining Halls Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Keeping up with a healthy lifestyle is nearly impossible in college. Grabbing food on the go in the dining halls usually results in a quick burger, fries, and a cookie. While it may seem that healthy dining hall options are few and far between, with the right mindset many healthy options can be made out of what the dining hall has to offer. Below are 10 ways to keep a somewhat healthy diet within the restrictions of the Miami dining services.

1) Drink water!

Simply opting for water instead of the multitude of fountain drink options is an easy way to cut down calories on a day-to-day basis.

2) Fruit Salads

While the dining halls may not consistently offer many healthy foods, you can always count on a bar of fruit, although the options may be limited. The dining halls frequently have mandarin oranges, grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapples, and sometimes blueberries. A side of any of these fruits instead of a side of fries is a great way to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

3) Burrito Bowls

Bell Tower has a Mexican station, and while not all the options are necessarily super healthy, a classic burrito bowl topped with veggies is a substantial meal that will make you feel great after eating it. They offer onions, peppers, guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, pica de gallo, and more. Along with these options the salad bar is always open to add on your favorite toppings. It may not be Qdoba, but it’s something that can change up your daily routine.

4) Stir Fry

Western Dining Hall, Bell Tower, and Garden all have stir fry stations that will guarantee your veggie intake for your meal. With options differing every day, many of the stir fry stations offer water chestnuts, onions, carrots, mushrooms, chicken, tofu, rice, and more. Another trick: take the grilled chicken and add it to your salad for a warm grilled chicken salad!

5) Allergen-Free Station

The Allergen- Free Station in Western Dining Hall is made specifically for those with serious allergies, however it is open to everyone and offers super healthy options. Gluten-free pasta and grilled chicken are offered on a daily basis. A variety of vegetables are served from potatoes to asparagus to broccoli. In addition, they have a carving station that serves ham and turkey depending on the day.

Other Options: 

6) Granola

It’s easy to grab a bagel and cream cheese or lucky charms to start your day, however healthier options like yogurt and granola are offered at many dining halls. Either a bowl of granola with milk or a mix of yogurt, granola, and cut up strawberries or blueberries is the perfect way to get the right boost of energy you need to make it through those 8:30 am classes.

7) Pasta and Spinach Salad

To mix things up, a pasta and spinach salad can be easily made by combining spinach from the salad station and the rotini noodles offered at various dining hall locations. It’s a quick recipe that tastes different from the traditional menu items that you won’t feel bad about eating in a hurry.

8) Spaghetti Side

While it is a very common dining hall option, you can’t go wrong with a classic side of spaghetti along with grilled chicken or a salad. It adds flavor to the meal and is a much better option for a side than something like mashed potatoes or french fries.

9) Salad

The dining halls offer a wide array of greens, veggies, and sauces to make the perfect salad for your lunch or dinner. Salads can be drab, but a good mix of vegetables and the right toppings is a great way to make sure you’re eating healthy and getting the right nutrients for the rest of your day.

10) A Healthy Dessert

You can’t forget to treat yourself! The desserts in the dining hall are so tempting, but a slightly healthier alternative to the array of cookies and cakes does exist! By dipping strawberries in a bowl of chocolate pudding, you can successfully satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling too guilty.