Campus Cutie: Matt Heard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mars Hill chapter.

Name: Matt, “not Matthew,” Heard

Hometown: Atlanta, Ga. 

Status: Single 

Birthday: July 25

Classification: Freshman

Major: Matt studied art all through high school and wanted to continue his studies at Mars Hill but has changed his mind and is now thinking about studying personal training.

Favorite Genre of Art: Painting and drawing 

Music: “I like to listen to Pandora and pick out my favorite genres, like older rap or reggae. Some artists I enjoy include Lil Boosie and Ludacris.”

What are your hobbies?  “When I was nine, I started playing drums, and in middle school, I was in the marching band. After middle school marching band, I decided to devote more of my time to art. Now, while I am in college and surrounded by a music-and-art-consumed city like Asheville, I am thinking about picking up drums again and maybe study more music. I also cannot wait until they start up the drum circle in Asheville on Friday nights, so I can go jam. I also like to go to a music venue called the Orange Peel in Asheville and see concerts and dance (he really likes to dance). Last show I went to at the Orange Peel was Big Gigantic, and it was the drummer’s birthday, so it was definitely a big celebration for everyone and I had so much fun.”  

Favorite Author:  John Green

Favorite Actor: Brad Pitt 

How’d you find Mars Hill University? “First, I took a year off after high school, and my friend Moe Nyang got a football scholarship here, and then I decided to apply and now I’m here.”  

What did you do on your year off? “I began to model and did a couple of modeling gigs.”

Do you have something you would like to change or start while being in college?  “I hope to start off a wrestling club, and if that becomes successful and we have high interest, it will turn into a club team and then an actual wrestling team.” 

What would you say about Atlanta? “It has a large diversity of people, and you just never know what you will come across. I think it is one of the best places to grow up.” 

Three words to describe you: Intense yet gentle

Favorite Mars Hill Memory: “When Mars Hill got a lot of snow, me and my friends got a chain and hooked it up to my friends truck and our sled — that was a good night.”