An open letter to my girlfriend

An open letter to my girlfriend,  

Thank you for coming into my life and making it a better place. Thank you for being my heater on winter nights. Thank you for trusting me with your heart, especially since it’s fragile. Thank you for taking a chance with me and accepting every apology. Thank you for always having open arms when I need them most. Thank you for being here and never giving up on us. Thank you for always being willing to talk things out and being understanding. Thank you for putting up with my random bursts of energy as well as the days I don’t want to get out of bed. Thank you for helping me make sense of all of the things I can’t understand.  

In time, you have become more than just my girlfriend and more than just any girl. You have become my best friend and, most of all, my shoulder to cry on. You are one of the few people I can really depend on at school and for that I am most thankful. You are truly a blessing in my eyes and I am so thankful for you and all that you do. I could never ask for anyone better than you, nor would I ever want too. I don’t want to let you go and I will always do all that I can to keep a smile on your face. Your heart is in good hands, and I promise to keep it in one piece.  

I promise to always keep your happiness and well-being in mind. I promise to always be there for you in a time of need. I promise to do my best to always turn every frown into a smile and every cry into a laugh. I promise to never betray you and treasure your trust with all my heart. I promise to never treat you as anything less than royalty. I promise to always remind you how beautiful you are, each and everyday, and every chance I get. I promise to flirt with you even after months of dating. I promise to always ask you out on dates (and buy you flowers from a gas station afterwards). I promise to always try my best and to never give up on you.  

I promise to love you enough for the both of us when you’re at your worst. I promise to love you when you’re at your best. I promise to love you when nothing makes sense and to love you when everything does. I promise to kiss your forehead before you fall asleep and again once you wake up. I promise to hold your hand tighter through the darkness and passionately through the light. I promise to protect you from the world when you’re vulnerable. I promise to be there for you when you can’t get out of bed or find the energy to take a shower.  

I promise to love you when you’re six coffees in and ready to take on the entire world. I promise to love you before you’ve had a sip of coffee in the morning and hate the world. I promise to love you when your hair is a mess and your makeup is left on from the day before. I promise to love you when your hair is done and your face is full of fresh makeup. I promise to love you when you’re in sweatpants and a sweatshirt and when you’re in jeans and a nice shirt. I promise to love you even when I’m mad at you, when we’re fighting and when I’m upset with you. I promise to love you when we’re at a good and bad place in our relationship. I promise to love you through everything and anything the world throws at us. I promise all of this and so much more, to you, forever and always.  

Love,

Your girlfriend